Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Found Wild Hops, Now What? [pics]

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #21
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Happy to give you the recipe. Take it with a grain of salt, though... I wanted a more malty/sweet IPA and blew my efficiencies out of the water. And I haven't tasted it yet, so it could be terrible. It could also be AMAZING.

11.25 lbs Maris Otter
3.00 lbs Munich
1.75 Crystal/Caramel 15L

1 oz Bravo (pellet, 60 minute) - 35 IBU
4 oz Cascade (wet hop, 15 minute) - 18 IBU
4 oz Cascade (wet hop, 7 minute) - 13 IBU
3 oz Cascade (wet hop, 4 minute) - 9 IBU
2 oz Cascade (wet hop, 1 minute) - 6 IBU

Going to dry hop with more that I dried. 7 days prior to bottling.

Those IBU's are based on 6% AA Cascades. Could be way higher or lower depending.

Mashed at 158 for 1 hour. 6 gallons of 170F strike water. Single sparge with 3.75 gallons sparge water. Preboil volume of 7.4 gallons. Ended with about 6 gallons. Hit 1.080 with 88% efficiency (WAY HIGH).

Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I also suggest just using a 60 minute addition and the rest at 20 min or under. Between the simple grain bill and plenty of aroma/flavor and dryhop additions you should really be able to see what these are like. If you aren't drying them first, you'll need to use 3x as much "wet" hops by weight as dry.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #23
Twistedkarma
Recipes 

so, all these threads on wild hops, and both end with no, hey, they were nasty or, great.

zombie thread.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #24
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1134 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 583

I just harvested a bunch of hops from my property. I suspect they were planted by a guy who lived near there about 100 years ago. I don't know the variety, I've never met the guy who lived there and I suspect he may have died before I was born over 60 year ago so finding out the variety is near impossible but I'm betting on Saaz or Halertau. I'll give them a try when I brew my next batch. I only picked about half of them because they had climbed trees and half were too high to reach. If they turn out good I may try to train the bines to follow low branches instead of climbing the trunks.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #25
ong
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My understanding is that most old hops plantings and "wild hops" in the US are Cluster... Might be worth comparing aroma to some commercial Cluster.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #26
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts

I found some wild hops growing locally last year. After some surfing I decided they were probably cluster but had no way of knowing for sure. I picked what I could, brought it home and dried it. My final dry weight was about 5oz.

The recommendations I found for wild hops was to use them for flavour/aroma additions since there was no way to determine AA%. Instead (being contrary) I made up a version of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde replacing all the cascade and centennial hops with my mystery hop. Assuming the hop was cluster I adjusted the bittering addition for an AA% that was in the middle of cluster's range (6% IIRC) but used the same weights listed in the recipe for the flavour and aroma additions.

The result was a good beer that was decently similar to the original (I named it Wild Cluster Blonde). I then turned around and used in in a stout that only had a single bittering addition again adjusting for an AA% of 6 (I think). The bitterness of the stout was about right.

These two experiments renforced my belief (though I may be wrong) that hop X was actually cluster since cluster is supposed to be an decent all purpose hop. I will continue to use it under this assumption.

Continue to use it?

I checked this past weekend and the bines appear to be doing even better than last year. The cones are now fully formed and starting to show yellow in the center. I'm looking forward to a good harvest.
Newsman Likes This 
Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #27
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts

No neighbors to ask.

These are growing on the side of the road by a community walking trail. There are a bunch of damson trees growing in the area so I'm sure it used to be private property at one point. Damson trees used to be really popular in Newfoundland and you still find them everywhere eventhough not many people plant or maintain them anymore.
seph Likes This 
Old 09-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #28
Twistedkarma
Recipes 

Hmmm. So. Is it fools gold?

Humulus japonicus

Click image for larger version

Name:	1410133432208.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	222660