Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Will my starter last 6 days in the fridge?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
McMalty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Will my starter last 6 days in the fridge?

Ik there are other threads that kinda answer the same question, but i just want to be a little more specific. I was going to brew 2 batches today, so i made 2 starters. I had a buddy come over and it turns out after 6 hrs of brewing and a long week behind me, i don't feel like brewing another batch today. So if i let my starter finish out it's 24 hr pd, will it last another 7 days if i just refrigerate it? I don't see why it wouldn't....... thanks

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I think it would be OK. You can also rack your fermented beer to a secondary and use the slurry from your first batch and use that next week too.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

thanks mike......but when u stay I think it will be OK, that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I want to either know that it will be ok, or i'll just bite the bullet and make another starter later next week. So that's what i'm trying to figure out

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
mike20793
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It will be fine in the fridge. Just take it out a few hours before you pitch so it can warm up, then decant and give a good swirl to get the yeast back in suspension.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You'll be more than ok. After six days you'll have between 85-90% yeast viability. RDWHAHB

Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
Ik there are other threads that kinda answer the same question, but i just want to be a little more specific. I was going to brew 2 batches today, so i made 2 starters. I had a buddy come over and it turns out after 6 hrs of brewing and a long week behind me, i don't feel like brewing another batch today. So if i let my starter finish out it's 24 hr pd, will it last another 7 days if i just refrigerate it? I don't see why it wouldn't....... thanks
It will last well beyond 6 days. I usually make starters on the big side of what's recommended in beersmith, but I have gone at least two weeks and used a starter without any noticeable effect on quality. That said, I don't plan to let starters sit around. I try to make them 48-72 hrs before brew day. I feel like that's when they're at their best and get off to the fastest start. But I don't stress if I miss that window.