Will my starter last 6 days in the fridge? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Will my starter last 6 days in the fridge?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
McMalty
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Lisbon, Maryland
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Ik there are other threads that kinda answer the same question, but i just want to be a little more specific. I was going to brew 2 batches today, so i made 2 starters. I had a buddy come over and it turns out after 6 hrs of brewing and a long week behind me, i don't feel like brewing another batch today. So if i let my starter finish out it's 24 hr pd, will it last another 7 days if i just refrigerate it? I don't see why it wouldn't....... thanks

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
MikeG

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Atlanta, GA
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I think it would be OK. You can also rack your fermented beer to a secondary and use the slurry from your first batch and use that next week too.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
McMalty
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Lisbon, Maryland
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

thanks mike......but when u stay I think it will be OK, that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I want to either know that it will be ok, or i'll just bite the bullet and make another starter later next week. So that's what i'm trying to figure out

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
mike20793
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Cookeville, TN
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It will be fine in the fridge. Just take it out a few hours before you pitch so it can warm up, then decant and give a good swirl to get the yeast back in suspension.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
scottland
Recipes 

May 2010
Chandler, AZ
Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts

You'll be more than ok. After six days you'll have between 85-90% yeast viability. RDWHAHB

Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Gameface

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 488 Times on 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
Ik there are other threads that kinda answer the same question, but i just want to be a little more specific. I was going to brew 2 batches today, so i made 2 starters. I had a buddy come over and it turns out after 6 hrs of brewing and a long week behind me, i don't feel like brewing another batch today. So if i let my starter finish out it's 24 hr pd, will it last another 7 days if i just refrigerate it? I don't see why it wouldn't....... thanks
It will last well beyond 6 days. I usually make starters on the big side of what's recommended in beersmith, but I have gone at least two weeks and used a starter without any noticeable effect on quality. That said, I don't plan to let starters sit around. I try to make them 48-72 hrs before brew day. I feel like that's when they're at their best and get off to the fastest start. But I don't stress if I miss that window.