Ok, I cheated! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ok, I cheated!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Running_Crazy
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

I bottled my first batch last weekend and I'm anything but patient. So, got up this AM and put two in the fridge for sampling this afternoon. They were pretty good! Can't wait till they reach peak. I did a Summer Ale.
Bottled: Kilted English Brown Ale, Broken Thermometer Summer Ale, FacePlant Hop Lord Double IPA

Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
monkeybox
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Don't listen to the people who say not to taste until it's ready. I treat it like cooking: Taste throughout. Taste it after the boil (or even during), taste it when/if you rack to secondary, taste it when you bottle, and taste it 7 days after.

If it tastes bad or isn't ready, wait another week and taste again. If it's still not ready, wait another week and taste again. Repeat until it tastes great or the beer is gone.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
beerman0001
Recipes 

Jul 2011
virginia beach, virginia
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

You wont feel bad till you drink the last bottle and its the best in the batch. "Wish I would have waited longer to open the first one"
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
hogwash

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Waynesboro, VA
Liked 61 Times on 51 Posts

A summer ale will be ready pretty quickly. I'd start in on those things after 2 weeks in the bottle.

And I'm with monkeybox: it's my beer, I'll taste it when I damn well please!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
MistFM

Recipes 

Jun 2012
Springfield, MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with monkeybox, I taste my beer after the boil, when i bottle, and weekly after bottling. It is a good learning experience because most of the time when I taste after boiling I think I ruined the beer but after I bottle it it's fine.

American Outlaws Soccer Supporter's Group: www.theamericanoutlaws.com

Free Beer Movement: www.thefreebeermovement.com

Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Ohio
Liked 624 Times on 546 Posts

It is your beer, do what you want with it.

I usually try one after a week during the summer, but in winter I generally wait a month; too cold to get any carbonation quickly.