Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Quad, 2nd Fermentation.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
GrandPooBaa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quad, 2nd Fermentation.

Afternoon All

I'm brewing my first quad an all seemed to be going well until I pitched my 2nd batch of yeast (this was after it had been in FV1, then racked to FV2, then sat for 3 weeks). I've used a champagne yeast as my recipe suggested along with some yeast nutrient and it is sat at room temp. however it doesn't seem to be doing a great deal now. I guess I was expecting another, obvious burst of activity as you get in the first fermentation but it is basically just sitting there. My question is, have I done something wrong or is the 2nd ferment a more sedate affair?

Cheers

Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1194 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 2314

Unless you added more fermentables, there wouldn't be a big secondary fermentation. Have you taken gravity readings?

Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think the champagne yeast is for bottling. It will not ferment complex sugars, and the primary yeast will have consumed all the simple sugars.

Also note; Champagne yeast is a killer yeast, so now that it has been added, it will be difficult to get an ale yeast to start up again.

I think you are done.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
GrandPooBaa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I think the champagne yeast is for bottling. It will not ferment complex sugars, and the primary yeast will have consumed all the simple sugars.

Also note; Champagne yeast is a killer yeast, so now that it has been added, it will be difficult to get an ale yeast to start up again.

I think you are done.
Cool, thanks guys. The recipe was quite specific about putting the champagne yeast in FV2 and letting it stand for two weeks. I thought this a little odd too but decided to follow the instructions precisely.