competition popularity? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > competition popularity?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Pennington, NJ
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Hi, new to the forum. I've only been brewing for a few months, so this is more of a question for the future. How many of you compete? Compared to the $200-250 fees for KCBS (barbecue) competitions (they are a killer to any BBQers), homebrew competitions seem to cost $5-10 plus shipping, yet I don't see a forum devoted to the subject. Do a lot of you compete or is it more for the love of the hobby? I'd love to get into competitions soon.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Liked 19 Times on 9 Posts

I compete to get feedback on my beers. I'm looking get better and learn more about beer. I even decided to take the BJCP exam. I learned a ton about beer, brewing, and my palate during the process. I recommend it if for nothing more than to get a better understanding of your own beer.
Primary: Air
Next Up: Belgian Pale Ale

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
http://twitter.com/illmanneredbeer
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
MistFM

Recipes 

Jun 2012
Springfield, MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I too am interested in this. I think that entering a brew that I created into a competition would be an EXCELLENT way to learn and see how my recipes contend with other people's.

American Outlaws Soccer Supporter's Group: www.theamericanoutlaws.com

Free Beer Movement: www.thefreebeermovement.com

Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
makomachine

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Tuttle, OK
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Never done it, but will be in the next year. I'm looking forward to critical review of my beers. I brew well enough that I get praised by family and friends - needing some more 'critical' review to see where I'm at and what else I can do to improve. I'm also at a stage where recipe creation and fine tuning is going to be the theme and competitions will help me in that process.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Liked 624 Times on 447 Posts

I've entered many comps and judged at many more. it's a great way to get feedback on your beer. The caveat is that you shouldn't listen exclusively to any single judge or comp. Enter the same beer into several and get a good overview from more than a few judges. And be careful what category you enter the bee into. Enter it as what it tastes like, not what you brewed it to be. For example, a coffee stout should be entered as a specialty beer, not a stout.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

microbusbrewery Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Liked 333 Times on 205 Posts

I entered my first comp at the beginning of this month just to get the feedback on my beer so I know where I stand and what I can do to improve it. I'm still waiting on the scoresheets.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
gotsumbeers

Recipes 

Apr 2012
North Beach, MD
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just entered my first comp, for the feedback. I got a 16 one one of my beers, I entered it as a style I brewed it to be, not what it was best suited to be as Denny said. It was a wonderful beer on draught, but was undercarbonated in the bottle. It had lost much of its hop presence. At first I was slightly discouraged by the score, but it forced me to look critically at my beer. In the end I had to agree with how the judges scored it.

Still a good beer to me!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

I am thinking about entering a competition or two next year. I don't feel like most of my recipes are at a point I think they are so flawless I need outside opinions, except my lambic but I don't feel like sharing any with strangers.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Liked 624 Times on 447 Posts

It's also important to save some of the beer to drink while you read through the scoresheets. Really helps to understand the judges comments.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6697 Times on 3960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsumbeers View Post
I just entered my first comp, for the feedback. I got a 16 one one of my beers, I entered it as a style I brewed it to be, not what it was best suited to be as Denny said. It was a wonderful beer on draught, but was undercarbonated in the bottle. It had lost much of its hop presence. At first I was slightly discouraged by the score, but it forced me to look critically at my beer. In the end I had to agree with how the judges scored it.
And that is what it's all about!

I entered a bunch of comps over a period of about a year. I won a bunch of ribbons, including some golds. It was very motivating. Then I quit entering them, just basically got busy. Gotta get back into it.

The hardest part for me is the packaging and shipping. Clubs almost always have a competition coordinator who will help out a lot there. I stopped going to my club and that was a mistake.