No sparge brewing... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No sparge brewing...

Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Jtbrown54
Recipes 

May 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Does anyone have a link to a good resource on no sparge brewing?

I wanna try my mash tomorrow without sparging if possible.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Gameface

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 491 Times on 284 Posts

Why don't you want to sparge?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
rjsnau
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I don't have a link but there is really nothing to it. Just add all the water you would use for a sparge to your mash. You have b\to be pretty sure about your losses though as you can't adjust your sparge water if you are off. Also remember your tun must be able to hold all 8-10 gallons of water plus the grain. My 10 gallon tun was right up to the top for a lower gravity beer.

Gameface,
No-sparge is supposed to give you a better malt flavor at the cost of a lower efficiency. FWIW, I have tried it and notices a slight improvement but I went back to sparging.

Gameface Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
edsrockin
Recipes 

Jan 2011
newport, tn, TN

don't mean to hijack the thread, but .... outta curiosity ... JT, if you were pleased with the results why did you go back to sparging? thanks.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Liked 1194 Times on 813 Posts

The Nov, 2011 copy of BYO magazine has a good article about no sparge brewing. If I remeber correctly it works well for certain styles.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Number2
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Highland, Ca
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://byo.com/stories/techniques/ar...kip-the-sparge

Enjoy!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Actually there's quite a few excellent and detailed threads on "No Sparge Brewing" right here.....Just do a search and you'll find a ton...There's one on here that went on here for over a year....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Here's a really good one.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew