Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > mounting taps to front of fridge

Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Tehmitt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default mounting taps to front of fridge

I got an old fridge for free so am going to use it for my 4 kegs. I am going to mount 4 taps through the front door but my question is what size do you drill the hole at? I've looked through the videos and they all have the holes drilled and I just wanted to make sure that I used the right size instead of trying to eyeball it.

Also would anyone recommend sealing it with anything or is the shank a tight enough fit to not worry about that? Any help or links to help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Measure the inside of the nut to tighten down on the shank, what I did was slide that on a step bit and mark it with a sharpie, the main thing you want to do is not to make the hole too big. So drill a little and then see if you need to go bigger, until you get the right size for your shank. On the inside I used a wood backing to tighten down the nut against so the taps wouldn't spin and it helped keep the nut from breaking the plastic liner. I didn't seal mine, I figured if I did getting them off if I had to replace them would be a pain in the arse. Hope that helps some.

-G

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 08-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
BrosephJarclay12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently drilled a hole for my tap with a hole-saw that was just too big. Reason being, I am impatient and cheap, couldn't find the right size nor did I go buy the correct size hole saw.....and what might the correct size be? In my opinion, just big enough to get the shank through. Mine has a lot of wiggle room, I have not sealed it with anything because I have a sort a temporary kegerator so I don't want to gum up the threads with spray foam, but ideally I would do so. For me with the larger gap I get heavy condensation on the faucet, so much so that I wrap a bar towel around it.
Hope that gets you thinking.

-JB-

Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm certainly no expert, so I offer this for what it's worth: I bought my kegerator with a shank/faucet already installed. The hole through the door had a short piece of 3/4" PVC pipe inserted into the hole. I assume that's to prevent crushing/distorting the door, as well as maintaining a proper seal. Unfortunately, I cant tell you how well it's working since I am finishing the process rebuilding the whole setup.

Today, I got a brass pipe nipple to make a "Bulk head" for the co2 line, similar to what you would do for a cooler mash tun. I selected a hole saw that would accommodate the nipple, and I'll probably use a small amount of silicone on the washers to seal it all up. (for a 3/8" nipple, I'm using a 7/8" hole saw, it'll be to big, but 3/4 was too small and they didn't have 1/16" increments.) Hope this helps, Good luck!