Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Newbie kegger lesson learned about sealing corny lids

Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Newbie kegger lesson learned about sealing corny lids

I'm sure this has been addressed before but I couldn't read every single thread in this forum so here goes. I kegged my first two batches recently after obtaining a couple pretty nice looking ball-lock corny kegs. I did my reading, both here and elsewhere (the sticky about kegging is a great thread, thanks!) but there was one seemingly very simple area that was either missed or I didn't digest very well - sealing the lid of the keg. I didn't seal the first one right, hooked up the CO2, left to go to a ballgame and came back the next day to an empty CO2 tank and flat beer. A very simple fix - don't flip the handle on the lid before forcing the lid closed with CO2 - but I learned it the hard way. This youtube video (only about 1:30 long) demonstrates it very well, in my opinion.

http://youtu.be/eNNIgBX9Wvk
So if this note saves someone else a headache and an unnecessary $13 CO2 refill, it was worth my time. Thanks to all who contribute, I've learned a ton already.

collinsDPT Likes This 
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 533

these lid o-rings from williams brewing seal much better than the standard ones that come with most cornies

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-L...-RING-P58.aspx

i still seal the lid with 30psi out of force of habit but it isn't necessary with these

Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

A quick check for every one of my kegs is to pressurize, and then use a spray bottle of starsan to check for bubbles around the lid and posts to make sure it's not leaking. I just keep the spray bottle right at the kegerator so I never forget to check for leaks.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Helly
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks to both of you for the tips. I will check out those seals and I learned to keep that spray bottle right by the fridge but it's a great reminder. I definitely rushed through this the first time but there's no better way to learn than to do it

Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
HawksBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1032 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Another tip is to seat the lid at 30 psi before purge and repeat process.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
isurf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
A quick check for every one of my kegs is to pressurize, and then use a spray bottle of starsan to check for bubbles around the lid and posts to make sure it's not leaking. I just keep the spray bottle right at the kegerator so I never forget to check for leaks.
+1 fool proof!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 22

As someone who is about to keg for the first time next week I'm glad I found this thread! I'd probably be ok the first few times by dumb luck alone and then be really confused when I did finally screw it up.

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This process seems rather unnecessary to me. I've been kegging for years and never had a problem simply wiggling the lid around until it feels like a good fit, then locking it down. Never had a leak. I'm not sure this pressurization process would necessary prevent a leak either.

The spray bottle is probably the best way, and I might start doing that. Or not.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
HawksBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1032 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
This process seems rather unnecessary to me. I've been kegging for years and never had a problem simply wiggling the lid around until it feels like a good fit, then locking it down. Never had a leak. I'm not sure this pressurization process would necessary prevent a leak either.

The spray bottle is probably the best way, and I might start doing that. Or not.
The spray bottle won't help you if you don't have pressure in the keg.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post

spray bottle is only good is IDing a leak, not in fixing/preventing one

one of my cornies has a slightly deformed opening and won't seal unless hit with 20-30psi - if i bleed off too much pressure it will unseal itself again