Brett Beer 100% Brett Apricot Pale Ale - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes > Brett Beer 100% Brett Apricot Pale Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
deepsouth
 
deepsouth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
biloxi, ms
Posts: 455
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Recipe Type: Extract   
Yeast: Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (White Labs #WLP650)   
Yeast Starter: Yes   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5   
Original Gravity: 1.057   
Final Gravity: 1.009   
IBU: 40   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 50 days at 74 degrees   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 74 degrees   
Tasting Notes: the apricot really shows through and the hops don\'t overcome the brett or the fruit   

Ingredients

4 lbs 8 oz Extra Light Dry Extract
2 lbs Pilsner Dry Extract
0.10 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 3.1 IBUs
0.10 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 3.9 IBUs
0.10 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 4.0 IBUs
0.15 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 3.5 IBUs
0.15 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 4.6 IBUs
0.15 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 4.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.9 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 6.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (White Labs #WLP650)
1 jar Vintners Harvest Apricot Puree (3 lbs. 1 oz.)


i made a starter with the brett and let it go for about four days and then decanted and added more wort and let it go again for two days prior to brewing and pitching.

i added the apricot in secondary after 50 days in primary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
deepsouth
 
deepsouth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
biloxi, ms
Posts: 455
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


some pictures of the bottling... nice color on this one. taste is apricot, brett, pale ale. couldn't ask for more.










 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
aarongarcia
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Dallas, TX
Posts: 10
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


This sounds excellent. What was your OG/TG on this?

deepsouth Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
VegasJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
VegasJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 325
Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post

my my that looks awesome

deepsouth Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Benedetto
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Washingtonville
Posts: 80
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


With those cans of Vintner's fruit puree - do you need to pasteurize them first or are they good to go right into secondary?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
deepsouth
 
deepsouth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
biloxi, ms
Posts: 455
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongarcia View Post
This sounds excellent. What was your OG/TG on this?
thanks. it turned out awesome.

og was 1.057
fg was 1.009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
deepsouth
 
deepsouth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
biloxi, ms
Posts: 455
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedetto View Post
With those cans of Vintner's fruit puree - do you need to pasteurize them first or are they good to go right into secondary?

i added it straight into secondary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
deepsouth
 
deepsouth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
biloxi, ms
Posts: 455
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


i'll also bump up the ibu probably next time due to the extended aging process before i bottle it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
mgross2
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 9


@ Deepsouth

So after a few years of not brewing at all, my friend and I decided to get back into the addiction and dust off some carboys. He wanted to brew an apricot so after searching the site for a few minutes we settled on your recipie ( we were actually in our local brew shop using our phones to pick a recipie). I had never heard of Brett yeast before but I figured it couldn't be much different than other types of yeast....I was wrong. So after this long and drawn out intro, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1) Why such a long primary fermentation?
2) I didn't use a starter for my yeast, I just let my white labs yeast set out for the duration of the boil, and then pitched it @ 72 degrees F after cooling the wort down with my chiller. I noticed that it took almost 4 days before we saw any real activity in the carboy, and sience then everything has seemed to just be moving extremly slow as far as fermenting goes( It definatly does not share the same charictaristics of the hefe sitting right next to it.) It is in a dry cellar that stays a constant 68 degrees and has been there sense the 8th of december......Are these conditions ok?

Thanks for any and all feedback man!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
deepsouth
 
deepsouth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
biloxi, ms
Posts: 455
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross2 View Post
@ Deepsouth

So after a few years of not brewing at all, my friend and I decided to get back into the addiction and dust off some carboys. He wanted to brew an apricot so after searching the site for a few minutes we settled on your recipie ( we were actually in our local brew shop using our phones to pick a recipie). I had never heard of Brett yeast before but I figured it couldn't be much different than other types of yeast....I was wrong. So after this long and drawn out intro, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1) Why such a long primary fermentation?
2) I didn't use a starter for my yeast, I just let my white labs yeast set out for the duration of the boil, and then pitched it @ 72 degrees F after cooling the wort down with my chiller. I noticed that it took almost 4 days before we saw any real activity in the carboy, and sience then everything has seemed to just be moving extremly slow as far as fermenting goes( It definatly does not share the same charictaristics of the hefe sitting right next to it.) It is in a dry cellar that stays a constant 68 degrees and has been there sense the 8th of december......Are these conditions ok?

Thanks for any and all feedback man!!
sorry it's taken me so long to respond. regarding number one....i had read several places that brett develops over time, so i decided to do an extended primary before adding the apricot. also, i wasn't sure what the extended aging would do to the apricot if it sat on the yeast. regarding the second part of the question, as this brett was my only yeast for this beer, i noticed that there were significantly fewer cells than with 'regular' yeasts, so i figured i'd need to bump that up a bit.

i think your temps are great. ours were higher down here and i didn't notice any ill affects.


all that said, how is your beer coming along????!?!?!?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with recipe for brett pale ale or brett saison TNTgill Lambic & Wild Brewing 14 06-13-2014 08:35 PM
Apricot Brett Farmhouse (wlp670) - Advice Needed Tiroux Lambic & Wild Brewing 6 11-02-2013 04:04 AM
where to add recipe for apricot brett pale ale? deepsouth General Beer Discussion 4 08-21-2012 01:52 PM
how does this sound for my 100% brett b apricot pale ale? deepsouth Recipes/Ingredients 15 08-15-2012 01:43 PM
Apricot Brett ploppythesausage Recipes/Ingredients 1 05-08-2012 03:51 PM


Forum Jump