Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ski Soda

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
noodles44x2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ski Soda

Has anybody here tried to recreate Ski soda? I am from the Midwest and love the stuff. I would like to try to make my own.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Never even heard of it, but Wikipedia says it's distributed in California, might have to check BevMo.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
rholbert
Recipes 

I haven't tried this, but the following blog post describes a recipe for a homemade Mountain Dew / Sun Drop clone:

The Homemade Soda Expert

Use this as a starting point for experimentation and don't filter out the pulp :-)

Your other option is to call Excel Bottling over in Breeze, IL (618-526-7159) and ask them where you can by Ski Pop in St. Charles.

If you try the recipe, please let us know how this works for you. I was born in Wellston, Ohio -- home of the Gem Bottling Company. So, I grew up drinking lots of Double Cola and Ski Pop.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
noodles44x2
Recipes 

That looks like it would be a good start. I thought I read somewhere that Ski only uses orange and lemon. The original Ski apparently used to have pulp in it but people started to complain that stuff was floating around in their drink. It wouldn't bother me a bit. Its harder to find in St Charles, but I grew up right across the river in Illinois and it was everywhere. It looks like you can get 5 gallons of premix from them. I sent them an email but I haven't got a response yet. I will prob have more luck with a phone call.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
kelor90
Recipes 

The premix is $25 plus a deposit for the kegs. They have had problems with homebrewers not returning their kegs in the past so please return them so they will continue to sell to individuals. They just opened a brewery too. I picked up a keg of premix ski for my keezer in August.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
noodles44x2
Recipes 

Sounds like I need to make my way out to Breese, IL.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
jpickett
Recipes 

I have lived in ky my entire life. Growing up in south central ky ski was the drink of all. I clearly remember when it did contain the pulp in the bottom of the bottle. Once they removed that the flavor drastically changed. But I still love the stuff. Now the availability of ski has to my knowledge in ky never gone any farther north than elizabethtown. Kinda strange due to it being available up north. The word around town is that coke purchased double cola to remove competition. Who knows because u cannot find any infor on the net about that. Shame though cause double cola was way better than coke