Weizenbock Weezie Jefferson's American Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
27 days @ 72oF
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Weezie Jefferson's American Weizenbock
2007 by Mark Pannell

~ 8% ABV

5 lbs. Schreier American 2-row pale malt (1.8-L)
5 lbs. wheat malt
1 lb. rye malt (4-L)
1 lb. CaraMunich (60-L)
1 lb. Munich malt (10-L)
4 oz. Special B malt (120-L)
1 oz. chocolate malt (425-L)

.75 oz. Hallertauer {pellet} [6.0% AAU] (60 mins.)
.5 oz. Hallertauer {pellet} [6.0% AAU] (30 mins.)
.25 oz. Hallertauer {pellet} [6.0% AAU] (5 mins.)
1 oz. Saaz [3.4% AAU] (dry hop)

White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale

Mash grains with 4 gallons of water at ~155o F for 90 minutes. Recirculate until clear, ~20 minutes. Sparge with ~7.0 gallons at ~173oF. Cool wort to ~70oF and pitch yeast. Prime with 6.5 oz. plain light DME.

----------------------

This turned out nothing like I expected. I expected more wheat/fruity flavor and hazy appearance. That said, this turned out to be a pleasant surprise! This strain of yeast is very mild for a Hefeweizen strain. It is supposedly a Widmer strain, which would explain it's mildness and lack of any strong banana/clove flavor.

Believe it or not, this turned out much more like a true bock or marzen lager! Very clear by weizen standards, it has a nice, malty aroma and flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, it has a malty, slightly nutty taste - probably from the wheat and rye malt. Medium carbonation with a nice, creamy head which dissipates within ~1-2 mins. I'd bet I could serve this to most people and call it a bock and they'd never question it.

I really, really like this beer! I'd thought about making it my seasonal Oktoberfest offering instead of brewing a true O'fest lager. But I'm liking this so much that I may just make it a 'house ale' b/c it is so quick and easy to brew.

Is it bad netiquette to post on such an old thread? I'm going to hope not, because this recipe is exactly what I was looking for for a fall beer.

I love hefs during the summer, so a big wheat beer to me seems like a great way to say adios to the warm weather and usher in the shorter days.

But weizenbocks are sometimes too syrupy sweet for my taste, so I was curious to know how one would taste if dry hopped.

So yea, thanks for this post. I'm thinking I'll brew a batch of this. I have two questions for ya:

Have you brewed this beer since?

I'm a big fan of that banana wheat flavor. Do you think a different strain of yeast, perhaps Wyeast 3333 or 3068 could bring those out?

Back