Beehive Brew Off - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West Homebrew Forum > Beehive Brew Off

Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #11
Gameface
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 483 Times on 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I didn't have anything ready this year. Besides, my Amber ended up just outside of style for OG & ABV.

About the only thing I could have entered was a dessert cyser.
My ESB took first, second year in a row! Last year I got a lot of comments that it wasn't bitter enough so this year I actually made a SMaSH with MO and EKG and it was a bit outside guidelines all around, O.G. and ABV outside on the high side and SRM almost a full point on the low side. I gave 'em what they seemed to want last year but it's not my best bitter imo, and it doesn't fit the guidelines. I didn't expect it to do well, honestly.

UTPhish Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

It would also have been only 9 days in the bottle on the submission deadline day. It wasn't ready.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
UTPhish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
My ESB took first, second year in a row! Last year I got a lot of comments that it wasn't bitter enough so this year I actually made a SMaSH with MO and EKG and it was a bit outside guidelines all around, O.G. and ABV outside on the high side and SRM almost a full point on the low side. I gave 'em what they seemed to want last year but it's not my best bitter imo, and it doesn't fit the guidelines. I didn't expect it to do well, honestly.
Congratulations on the first place finish! I was thrilled to have my Dusseldorf Altbier & Pale Ale take bronze.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
warthog
Recipes 

Sep 2006
Park City, Utah
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

congratulations all! i had the privilege of being a judge at the beehive brew-off. it doesn't look like i judged any of your beers (i did bohemian pilsners, ipa's, russian imperial porters (funny that that abbreviates 'rip'). i jumped in on some wood smoked beers on sunday, just to get the category finished up) i can tell you that if you placed, you made a mighty fine beer, there was an awful lot of excellent beer to choose from.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:29 AM   #15
thenson801
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah

Where can I get more info about the Beehive Brew Off? Guess I can head over to the Beer Nut to find out more... only thing I see online is from 2012! I'd love to try and enter a couple beers!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #16
Gameface
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenson801 View Post
Where can I get more info about the Beehive Brew Off? Guess I can head over to the Beer Nut to find out more... only thing I see online is from 2012! I'd love to try and enter a couple beers!
I saw on their Facebook page that they will be accepting entries Aug 5th-10th and I believe the contest will be held Aug 16th-17th. But I'd double check those dates to be sure.

thenson801 Likes This 
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
quincy07
Recipes 

Jun 2013
West Valley City, UT
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

I just bottled an IIPA last night and the sample i took tasted awesome. I was thinking of entering it in a comp. but didn't know where to look. A quick google search brought me here and got me all excited, til I saw the date for entries is Aug. 5-10. Hopefully my IIPA will not have lost too much hop character by then. Hell, I may just have to brew it again so it's fresh for the comp.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
West Jordan, UT
Liked 214 Times on 171 Posts

Just an FYI, here's the URL for the comp, http://www.beernut.com/beercomp/

thenson801 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #19
Gameface
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

The dates have changed a little. Entries will be accepted until Aug. 15th (I verified this over the phone with Jamie, the event organizer, today) and judging will take place the 23rd and 24th with winners announced at the Bayou on the 24th.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:03 AM   #20
Gameface
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

Good luck to all who entered!