Beehive Brew Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
Any of my fellow Utah HBT members enter this? I had fully intended to enter last year but chickened out. This year I entered 4 beers. My first beer comp.

Woot, took 1st in the English Pale Ale category!

Very happy with all my entries. Feel like I have a clear direction to go on with each beer. No off-flavors noted on any of my entries.

Good luck to my fellow Utah brewers with entries in this year's brew-off. I planned to enter more beers but ended up only entering two, both in category 8, a Best Bitter and an ESB.

I didn't have anything ready this year. Besides, my Amber ended up just outside of style for OG & ABV.

About the only thing I could have entered was a dessert cyser.

I didn't have anything ready this year. Besides, my Amber ended up just outside of style for OG & ABV.

It is so hard to tell OG and ABV that I never let that stop me. IBUs, FG/mouthfeel, and SRM are killers, but with OG and ABV there's practically no way to tell if it's right on the edge or just outside style.

At one competition that I stewarded, there was exactly one real American Pale Ale in the flight. If there was someone else close to style, it would have gotten 2nd. I've also seen a 41 come in 5th. You can never know.

My ESB took first, second year in a row! Last year I got a lot of comments that it wasn't bitter enough so this year I actually made a SMaSH with MO and EKG and it was a bit outside guidelines all around, O.G. and ABV outside on the high side and SRM almost a full point on the low side. I gave 'em what they seemed to want last year but it's not my best bitter imo, and it doesn't fit the guidelines. I didn't expect it to do well, honestly.

My ESB took first, second year in a row! Last year I got a lot of comments that it wasn't bitter enough so this year I actually made a SMaSH with MO and EKG and it was a bit outside guidelines all around, O.G. and ABV outside on the high side and SRM almost a full point on the low side. I gave 'em what they seemed to want last year but it's not my best bitter imo, and it doesn't fit the guidelines. I didn't expect it to do well, honestly.

Congratulations on the first place finish! I was thrilled to have my Dusseldorf Altbier & Pale Ale take bronze.

congratulations all! i had the privilege of being a judge at the beehive brew-off. it doesn't look like i judged any of your beers (i did bohemian pilsners, ipa's, russian imperial porters (funny that that abbreviates 'rip'). i jumped in on some wood smoked beers on sunday, just to get the category finished up) i can tell you that if you placed, you made a mighty fine beer, there was an awful lot of excellent beer to choose from.

Where can I get more info about the Beehive Brew Off? Guess I can head over to the Beer Nut to find out more... only thing I see online is from 2012! I'd love to try and enter a couple beers! :)

Where can I get more info about the Beehive Brew Off? Guess I can head over to the Beer Nut to find out more... only thing I see online is from 2012! I'd love to try and enter a couple beers! :)

I saw on their Facebook page that they will be accepting entries Aug 5th-10th and I believe the contest will be held Aug 16th-17th. But I'd double check those dates to be sure.

I just bottled an IIPA last night and the sample i took tasted awesome. I was thinking of entering it in a comp. but didn't know where to look. A quick google search brought me here and got me all excited, til I saw the date for entries is Aug. 5-10. Hopefully my IIPA will not have lost too much hop character by then. Hell, I may just have to brew it again so it's fresh for the comp.

The dates have changed a little. Entries will be accepted until Aug. 15th (I verified this over the phone with Jamie, the event organizer, today) and judging will take place the 23rd and 24th with winners announced at the Bayou on the 24th.

I was also fortunate enough to judge and medal. This year we had great turn out with surprisingly good beers. I judged RIS, pale ale, and specialty; in past years there have been some utterly undrinkable beers, this year on the other hand we had a great showing! Thought I'd share my silver medal winning saison recipe with the local folks!

16° starting gravity

80% pilsen
16% munich
4% wheat malt

Hopped with Hallertau then finished with styrian to about 28ibus

White Labs Saison 2
6 days at 68 then 7 days at 74
cold crashed to 34 and kegged

At judging they were less than 3 weeks old.
Cheers fellow Utah brewers :mug:

Tomorrow is the deadline!

I'll be entering more beers this year than I ever have. 9 total entries!

Good luck everyone.

I don't have anything ready, again.

The only new brew I have is kind of a light stout that is totally not BJCP approved. Although, when its carbed in a couple weeks, I'd be interested in having people sample it.

I don't have anything ready, again.

The only new brew I have is kind of a light stout that is totally not BJCP approved. Although, when its carbed in a couple weeks, I'd be interested in having people sample it.

There are categories for beers that don't fit in the "traditional styles", so don't let that stop you. If it's not ready in time for BBO, consider entering it in the Grace Lutheran Bier Brauen comp in September.

I don't know that I'd want to enter it as a 23 with a million black IPAs. I might rebrew it and enter it as a Specialty Beer after the new categories are in effect so it won't be competing against those.

I was working backwards from wanting to combine elements of a Wit and a Stout. It ended up as an easy drinking Stout with a very smooth roasted malt character.

Latest posts

Back