Tempature difference between primary and secondary - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Tempature difference between primary and secondary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Dutch218
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
baltimore, md
Posts: 85
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts



If I put my ferment bucket in a wine cooling fridge and control the temp correctly, and then secondary in room temp in a coopers DIY bucket are there any issues. I am thinking going from mid 60's to mid 70's may be an issue. I'm trying to make this all work with my current equipment and can't spend any more cash on buckets and such. (read: wife is already pissed)

Anyway does anyone see a problem with this? Am I going to screw up something along the way?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch218
If I put my ferment bucket in a wine cooling fridge and control the temp correctly, and then secondary in room temp in a coopers DIY bucket are there any issues. I am thinking going from mid 60's to mid 70's may be an issue. I'm trying to make this all work with my current equipment and can't spend any more cash on buckets and such. (read: wife is already pissed)

Anyway does anyone see a problem with this? Am I going to screw up something along the way?
Nope. Cooler at first, a bit warmer after that, very much a fine way to do it


__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Dutch218
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
baltimore, md
Posts: 85
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


Thanks. I just watched a YouTube video and the guy used the wine fridge. I had one for years and haven't touched it in about that long. Starting to wish I never wasted money on the coopers kit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Just try to let active ferm finish before warming,
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,048
Liked 7616 Times on 5360 Posts


I don't know what a coopers DIY bucket is. But if it has a wide headspace like other buckets, I wouldn't do that. I'd either keep it in the fermenter, until bottling, or rack to a carboy with a narrow headspace. After fermentation ends, the beer is fine where it is. But once it's racked, a wide headspace allows oxygen to permeate the headspace of a bucket.

I would either keep the beer in the fermenter, or find a vessel with less headspace if the coopers DIY bucket is actually a bucket.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
chumpsteak
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Meridian, ID
Posts: 853
Liked 96 Times on 79 Posts


Once 75% of primary fermentation is done you can let the drift up in temp within reason. Moving it from 65 to 75 is within reason. You will probably even get a cleaner fermentation that way by keeping the yeast awake long enough to clean up after themselves.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak
Once 75% of primary fermentation is done you can let the drift up in temp within reason. Moving it from 65 to 75 is within reason. You will probably even get a cleaner fermentation that way by keeping the yeast awake long enough to clean up after themselves.
Yep. This is precisely what I do
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Dutch218
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
baltimore, md
Posts: 85
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


This is a picture of the coopers DIY bucket.

http://www.google.com/search?q=coope...OM6NEeL_Dd8aM:

Hopefully that works. It's a good kit to get started with extract in hindsight, but I've moved to mini mash's and I seem to be buying more equipment before every batch.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
mporter
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Vancouver, WA
Posts: 6
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Maybe a dumb question, but shouldn't you be fine if you just keep the temperature within the yeast's optimum fermentation temperature for both the primary and the secondary fermentation.

For example... For a White Labs Burton Ale Yeast is 68-73F. Or are you saying that you should try to keep the primary near 68F, while moving it up to closer to 73 for the secondary?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rack to secondary or keep in primary? Viejo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 08-14-2012 01:31 AM
Secondary, or primary only? Barnstormer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 10-18-2011 11:30 PM
Primary to secondary already Turkoglu All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 05-29-2009 02:06 PM
Time from Primary to secondary to keg kirscp All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 03-11-2009 02:41 AM
Did I rush from primary to secondary? drayman86 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 07-17-2007 01:53 PM


Forum Jump