Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatine and dry-hops Q

Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
hatepickingnames
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default gelatine and dry-hops Q

Ive got a pale ale that spent one week in primary and 2 weeks seconday in the keg. It has a some weirdness that i wont get into now. Hiwever, i want to hit it with gelatine to clear it up as its hazy as heck. I also want to dry hop its face off to round it out a bit.

Its chilled 41 degrees and is flat. Should i DH and gelatinize at tbe same time? Im in no rush on this one since i have 10 gal of one of my favs right next to it. How long should i wait to gas it up?

Cascade pale
Berliner weiß
Munich/pilsener lager
Secondary-
Berliner weiß
Kegged-
Kolsch
Wit
Nitro english sweet stout

Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
WattyFP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

There are two schools of thought on this, as far as I've seen. First is dry-hop after fining with gelatin. Your beer will probably still have a little bit of hop particulates floating around, but you'll get exactly what you intend (or at least, what you performed) from your dry-hop. The second is dry-hopping before gelatin. You might lose a little bit of the flavor by fining after dry-hopping, but your beer will be clear. Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
hatepickingnames
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Im gonna gel it and then chuck the hops in. Ill dh with leaf to cut down on parrticulates. Ill start carbing when i hop it.
Cascade pale
Berliner weiß
Munich/pilsener lager
Secondary-
Berliner weiß
Kegged-
Kolsch
Wit
Nitro english sweet stout

Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
WattyFP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Cool. Post some pics when you're done if you feel like it, I just used gelatin for the first time on my Amarillo Pale Ale and am curious how yours is going to turn out. I went the other route and dry-hopped for three days, crashed for two, added gelatin two days ago and am still waiting for some of the floaty hops to sink to the bottom. I figure another day or two and I'll rack out. I used about a tablespoon and a half of gelatin to about twelve ounces of hot water, from the sounds of it that should have been plenty.