I had an experience with exploding bottles. It was with a Dark Maple Ale extract kit from Midwest. The cause, I am most certain, was over-carbonation. It sat in Secondary for several weeks (at least 3); fermentation was complete. Sanitation was sufficient (clean bottles overnight in dishwasher on Sanitize, StarSan for all equipment, etc.). Priming sugar was boiled in 2c water for 10 min, cooled, poured into bottling bucket and 5 gal beer siphoned into it so it was thoroughly mixed. The only thing that remained was the quantity of priming sugar. I used the entire 5oz provided by MW. I could tell, every bottle was extremely carbonated, and they foamed over quite profusely. On my second attempt, I cut back to an equivalent of 3.5-4 oz and the problem diminished significantly, if I recall.
Lesson learned: 1) Determine the desired CO2 volume for the style you are making. 2) Calculate the wt. of corn sugar needed for that volume, for the temperature of your room. 3) If applicable, convert to equivalent wt. of a different sugar if you are not using corn sugar. 4) Always dissolve the sugar in boiling water to ensure thorough mixing and sanitation.
Follow these guidelines and I'm sure you'll have better results next time!