Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Daily Meals
Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Ale's What Cures You!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6641 Times on 4735 Posts
Likes Given: 1853

Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
At this point I'd settle for some sort of sauce for the meat each night, to make it more appealing. That or marinades that REALLY penetrate and stay with the meat as it cooks. We eat a lot of rice with meat, so a sauce would make a nice meal with rice and veggies. Any sauce or marinades (that are easy and made mostly from crap I already have in the fridge/cupboard) suggestions are greatly appreciated.
We always keep several kinds of Thai curry paste and coconut milk on hand. It isn't "marinade" but it jazzes up a stir fry instantly.

We eat lots and lots of vegetables and some meat, chicken, or fish. It's often a Thai stir fry, or something on the grill. I eat low-carb, so no tacos or rice or bread or pasta for me.

Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Originally Posted by Tenspeed View Post
I do all of the cooking, planning, and shopping. She occasionally does make up a marinade, sauce, or dressing though, and I'm a big fan of those, but I let her keep the recipes to use when she likes.

What do you have in your fridge/cupboard? That's the big question!

I imagine you keep cooking oil and vinegar. 1 cup oil, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1 tsp salt and whatever other seasonings you have on hand. Put them together in a cup, cover, and shake and you have a vinaigrette.

Using that I make hoisin sauce dressing. Oil, but not olive oil, rice vinegar or cider vinegar, 1 tbsp hoisin sauce, 1 tsp soy sauce instead of salt, garlic powder to taste. I use garlic powder because it will rehydrate and release its flavor in the vinegar, otherwise I generally use crushed garlic.

For a reduction sauce try this:
Diced shallots, or if no shallots 1/4 of a sweet onion and a clove of garlic will work.
1 tbsp butter
Sweat the shallots/onions & garlic in a small pan with the butter. Right when they turn translucent, add 1 cup red wine, one ice cube of frozen stock or 1 tbsp Better than Bouillon, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp brown sugar.
Whisk until salt and sugar dissolve, then boil until reduced to a syrup. It goes from liquid to syrup to a sticky spot in the bottom of an empty pan pretty quick, so watch it and stir frequently.
I try to keep stock on hand for this sort of thing, so I'll get bones from my butcher friend and make up a huge batch every so often, which I freeze in ice cube trays. If that isn't an option you can use beef broth or Better Than Buillon.

Pan gravy is one of my favorites because you can make it in the 10 minutes after cooking when you're resting the meat.
The ratio here is 2 fat to 3 flour, so have 2 tbsp fat and 3 tbsp flour waiting, scale up as needed.
When you've removed the meat from its pan, add the fat and flour and stir together until mixed, then splash 1/2 cup white wine or broth into the hot pan and quickly use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape off all the good stuff stuck to the bottom. The French call this stuff "fond" which means base or bottom and wasting it is a sin.
Finally add 1/2 cup broth and continue to whisk over heat until it thickens. Taste and add seasonings as desired. It should be done by the time the meat is done resting.

Those are my go-to sauce recipes. Anything more complex isn't something I use on a regular basis, and these basic recipes can be modified as needed by changing out the various ingredients for others of the same type. You can use any oil or vinegar you like in the vinaigrette, any fat you want in the pan gravy, and any number of different wines and seasonings in the reduction.

The only recommendation I have is that when you make a wine reduction, you need to use a wine that you wouldn't mind drinking. In my opinion, cooking wine isn't meant for human consumption. I keep Red Diamond around as my red and a random dry reisling for my white.

And yes, I suck at making recipes. Sorry
Good stuff, thanks. I've made pan gravy before, looking for things that are less heavy for most nights so the pan sauce you described sounds great. Any wine i'd have around that wasn't empty would be Merlot, relatively cheap bottles.

We do keep vinegar, butter, spices, boulion cubes, garlic and usually an onion is on-hand. Soy sauce, sriracha, louisiana, bbq, lemon/lime juices, jellies, etc. Pretty much average stuff.

My kids will eat *most* stuff except tomatoes (and my youngest, 6, won't touch some veggies). Stir-fry is something we need to make again. We made it with tortilla's last time and hoisin sauce, it was damn-good. That hoisin is addictive. What's in it? I'd guess soy, vinegar, molasses or sugar, garlic?
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Hoisin has best been described as Asian BBQ sauce. It is delicious!