R.O water - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > R.O water

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
kerant
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Belle River, Ontario
Posts: 229
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



Want to fine tune my process. What is the most cost efficient way to R.O my water?
__________________
Hop Goblin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
chumpsteak
 
chumpsteak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Meridian, ID
Posts: 852
Liked 96 Times on 79 Posts


Buy it from a store.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
kwingert
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Nevada, MO
Posts: 245
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Yep
__________________
Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy-Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Skeeter7424
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newton, MA
Posts: 13

Or purchase an RO system for your home. Since I keep large saltwater aquariums, I already have one. The only difference is I skip the "d-ionization" step for beer water, since I do still want some light levels of metals in the water. Check out bulkreefsupply.com for a filter, they can be had for under $100

HTH
Jordan
__________________
Primary 1: Fireside Ale Concept
Secondary: EMPTY (OH NO!)
Bottled: Irish Red Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Honey Hefe, Left Hand Milk Stout Clone(TWEAKED!), Pumpkin Pie Vanilla Ale
Bitten by the brewing bug again!
Fish Stories Brewing...or Fish Tales Brewing...We can't decide

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Braufessor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
NE Iowa, Iowa
Posts: 3,227
Liked 931 Times on 647 Posts


Take your own jugs to a store (I go to Walmart) and refill them. Don't buy new ones each time off the shelf. Refills are .39 cents a gallon for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,914
Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
Take your own jugs to a store (I go to Walmart) and refill them. Don't buy new ones each time off the shelf. Refills are .39 cents a gallon for me.
...so that's ten gallons for just under four pennies?

Seriously, though... Do you know that the water is RO? I have a number of places (independent storefronts) near me that sell different waters, and I've been buying the distilled (as opposed to the RO). I get it for about the same cost...

I still plan on sending it out to Ward Labs for testing, to ensure that it is what they say it is.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
dover157
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Moriarty, New Mexico
Posts: 92
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter7424 View Post
Or purchase an RO system for your home. Since I keep large saltwater aquariums, I already have one. The only difference is I skip the "d-ionization" step for beer water, since I do still want some light levels of metals in the water. Check out bulkreefsupply.com for a filter, they can be had for under $100

HTH
Jordan

+1
I have a system from the same company for the saltwater tank, and for drinking water. One of the best investments I have ever made and the replacement filters for their systems are fairly cheep.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,808
Liked 324 Times on 274 Posts


Store bought is probably the easiest, I happen to have a 5-stage in house system that I use for my brewing water. If you brew 5 gallon batches every other week for a year you would spend about 8 gallons X .40 X 26 batches = $83.20. An RO system is going to cost you about $200 when all is said an done so the breakeven is about 63 batches or 315 gallons of product.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
On Deck: German Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,914
Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Store bought is probably the easiest, I happen to have a 5-stage in house system that I use for my brewing water. If you brew 5 gallon batches every other week for a year you would spend about 8 gallons X .40 X 26 batches = $83.20. An RO system is going to cost you about $200 when all is said an done so the breakeven is about 63 batches or 315 gallons of product.
How frequently do you have to replace the membranes/filters/etc. for the RO system? It's probably not that often, but it would still be another variable to compare costs.

I would love to have an RO system, even if it costs a little more, but I have nowhere to put one.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
dover157
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Moriarty, New Mexico
Posts: 92
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
How frequently do you have to replace the membranes/filters/etc. for the RO system? It's probably not that often, but it would still be another variable to compare costs.

I would love to have an RO system, even if it costs a little more, but I have nowhere to put one.
I change mine about twice a year. Thats just the 5 Micron Sediment Filter, 5 Micron Carbon Block and 0.6 Micron Carbon Block. With the system from Bulk reef supply all three are $21 plus shipping. The RO membrane will last for several years as long as you remember to flush it out every now and then. Size is not a huge issue in most cases. The whole drinking water system will fit under the kitchen sink, or if you just want it for brewing just bolt it to the wall in your brew area and run a supply line and drain line. The waste water is good for the garden FYI. I reccomend you check out their website, most of the systems I have seen at the home improvement stores may be a bit cheaper up front, but dont work as good and have a higher replacement filter cost.

My system ran about $500 by the time I was said and done, but I added the upgrade kit to go from 75 GPD (gallons per day) to 150 GPD and had to get a booster pump since my water pressure was to low to run the system properly. If your not wanting the 3 gal storage tank for drinking water, and have at least 50 psi comming out of your water lines a basic 4 stage system will run you 123.99. Hope this helps.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewing with soft water (Water Softener) iqoair Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 02-07-2015 09:36 PM
Mash water/sparge water ratio Philsc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 28 06-13-2014 09:11 PM
Arrowhead or City water? Found water profiles, any thoughts Liquisky Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-25-2013 11:59 AM
Strike Water/Sparge Water Table for BIAB - Am I correct? scottvin Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 06-04-2012 08:50 PM
mash water/sparge water ammounts? aoverturff Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-17-2008 03:08 AM


Forum Jump