Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pin Lock vs Ball Lock

Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
beerguy2009
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pin Lock vs Ball Lock

I am looking at starting to keg my beer and was wanting to know if there if any advantage in going with the ball lock vs the pin lock corny keg.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Generally speaking

Speaking in broad terms, there are some differences between Ball Locks and Pin Locks.
Pin Locks are generally shorter, but have a wider diameter than Ball Locks. Also, Pin Locks do not have a pressure relief valve, whereas Ball Locks do. Finally, Pin Locks tend to be a bit less costly than Ball Locks.
Generally people don't like to mix Ball Locks and Pin Locks. Yet I have read some people like Ball Locks for their normal beers and Pin Locks for their sour beers (keeping them separate so as to minimize infecting some equipment).
If you have nothing invested yet, you could save some money by buying Pin Locks.
Those are some of my thoughts. I hope that this helps.

Mark

Old 08-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho View Post
Pin Locks are generally shorter, but have a wider diameter than Ball Locks.
Keep this in mind when designing your kegerator/keezer. My first kegerator was a small refrigerator that would hold three ball locks, but only two pin locks would fit because they were wider.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
H-Balm
Recipes 

search the thread.... lots of posts out there

IMHO...the relief valve is not as big an issue. A screwdriver can do the same thing, or a $2 cap from Midwest.
The best decision is to determine maximum efficiency based on your fridge.

One thing often missed is for a few extra bucks, you can buy fittings for both types. Keeping a spare in the supply box.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
H-Balm
Recipes 

j

Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2113 Posts
Likes Given: 1838

Pin locks are shorter, but I think the QD adds a bit of heights compared to the QD of a ball lock, so keep that in mind when figuring space requirements.

I have ball locks due to my supplier switching over and I wanted to be uniform. If you don't have to be worried about space, then grab whatever kegs you can find cheapest.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
beerguy2009
Recipes 

So you can convert pin lock to ball lock and vise versa?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2113 Posts
Likes Given: 1838

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy2009 View Post
So you can convert pin lock to ball lock and vise versa?
Not necessarily. The threads are different I think. Ball locks have a few different thread types IIRC. I traded my original Pin Lock to the store for a ball lock when they told me they were only able to get ball lock. Even up trade. They were happy to get a pin lock so they could sell to one of their customers who already had several pin locks.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
KegconnectionLLC
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 47

They both work fine. I have used both and have no preference. I always set up my lines with threaded swivel nuts and then use threaded disconnects so you can switch back and forth depending on which type of kegs you have available. This will allow you to use Ball Lock, Pin Lock and Sanke kegs on the same lines.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3329 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Pin locks are shorter, but I think the QD adds a bit of heights compared to the QD of a ball lock, so keep that in mind when figuring space requirements.

I have ball locks due to my supplier switching over and I wanted to be uniform. If you don't have to be worried about space, then grab whatever kegs you can find cheapest.
Yep. With the taller QD the effective height of the pin locks is about the same as ball locks. If height is the primary limiting factor in the keezer or fridge, a pin lock that's been converted to ball lock fittings is the best bet. That's what I had to do for the antique mini-fridge kegerator I restored for a friend. I went with ball locks for my keezer because I could fit 4 in there, as opposed to only 3 of the fatter pin locks.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash