Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > First electric kettle

Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Jeepinfool86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First electric kettle

I'm looking in to making my first electric brew kettle. I need some help on figuring out what I need and how to set it up.
I am planning on using a Camco 02963 5500W 240V heating element and a PID temperature controller.
I want to be able to control the temperture to get mash temps and also to control a good rolling boil.
I don't need to control pumps or anything like that. I just want to heat up water to certain temps.
If anyone could give me some kind of parts list and a diagram. I'm planing on buying most of the stuff I need from amazon

Thanks to anyone that will help

Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Jeepinfool86
Recipes 

Also I would like to use 120V.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
Jeepinfool86
Recipes 

Changed my mind, 220v would be best.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinfool86 View Post
I'm looking in to making my first electric brew kettle. I need some help on figuring out what I need and how to set it up.
I am planning on using a Camco 02963 5500W 240V heating element and a PID temperature controller.
I want to be able to control the temperture to get mash temps and also to control a good rolling boil.
I don't need to control pumps or anything like that. I just want to heat up water to certain temps.
If anyone could give me some kind of parts list and a diagram. I'm planing on buying most of the stuff I need from amazon

Thanks to anyone that will help
You had me until you said you will purchase from Amazon. Nothing against them - No Way - It's just that they do not sell the 'stuff' you really need to do the job right.

Oh well, Wish you great success.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Jeepinfool86
Recipes 

Where else should I shop?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Jeepinfool86
Recipes 

PJ, I have seen some of your diagrams on this forum. There really good. Do you have one for something that Im looking for? or something similar? The thing I mainly get hung up on is what parts I need.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you just want to hit some temps for strike water and do a boil why don't you just a brew thermometer and kill the power a degree or two short of your setpoint. Those low watt density elements wont scorch your wort either on full throttle so i don't see the need to control the boil, Suppose you could use a PWM circuit and an SSR to reduce power transfer but no need to get over sophisticated with just one pot!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You want to use these guys for your PID and temp probe, possibly your SSR/heatsink and switches/buttons: http://www.auberins.com/

I used Amazon for a lot of the "generic" parts like the element, dryer outlet, dryer cord, contactor, magnesium anode, etc.
I even got my SSR and heat sink from Amazon. But I used Auber for the PID, RTD probe and switches.

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."
P-J Likes This