Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > mash temp control setup for blichmann burner

Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
jester5120
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default mash temp control setup for blichmann burner

I've been trying to answer my own question on here for about 2 days now. I have a blichmann burner and i'd like to build a cheap mash temp controller for it. I keep seeing things like the brewtroller and stuff like that but is there a specific and inexpensive setup anyone can recommend for this type of burner? Can i keep it simple like rig up a pilot, solenoid, and johnson controller and voila!?

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

Have you looked through this thread? "Gas and Temperature control for dummies" by SawdustGuy. Simple but risky is a pilot and solenoid valve controlled by a cheap temperature controller, safer is a honeywell standing pilot furnace valve and pilot with 24V transformer and temperature controller. Maximum bling is electric ignition setup with dual solenoids or honeywell valve.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
jester5120
Recipes 

I hadn't seen that before. And thanks for the quick suggestions. I still might have some questions later though

Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
jester5120
Recipes 

now, several months later i need help figuring out the final pieces i need for the system. i have the honeywell solenoid valve witht he igniter, I've got the march pump and all the tubing. what's holding me up now is buying a pid and whether or not i need a solid state relay to power this since it's gas and not electric. i'm also unsure about what the best temp sensor is. I'm looking at a 1/2"npt thermowell that'll connect to a t on the output side of the mash. Please help

Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Dave the Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

No need for a SSR, a PID controller like this will handle the valve.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=106

But you will need a transformer to bring the voltage down for the valve.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-A...5VA-11016000-p

Auber also has several different sized thermocouples to consider.