Common Porter Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoolAidKid

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt a Sweet Potato Porter in a couple weeks, so I want to bounce any ideas I have off of you guys first.

What are the most common hops used in most porters?

I want something that you can only barely tell is there, but still gives a balance for the sweetness of this style of flavored porter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Target and northdown are good too (for bittering addition). You usually don't add any hops after 15 minutes from the end since you're not looking for.aroma. I wouldn't add too much for the flavor addition since you don't want that too strong.

Willamette! I agree with everyone above me, but gotta put in a plug for Willamette. It's quite good for flavor/aroma, which I know you aren't looking for a lot of, but a small addition will give it a nice earthy, subtle woody taste. Very complimentary to dark beers (and probably sweet potatoes too).

Willamette! I agree with everyone above me, but gotta put in a plug for Willamette. It's quite good for flavor/aroma, which I know you aren't looking for a lot of, but a small addition will give it a nice earthy, subtle woody taste. Very complimentary to dark beers (and probably sweet potatoes too).

I brewed a porter last winter with willamette and it turned out great, everyone that tried it liked it.

Just about any hop will work in a porter. I enjoy the combo of willamette/cascade in US versions and really dig kent goldings/fuggles in UK versions. You can go big-C hop or dank, suit your taste and the overall build of the beer.

Cheers :mug:
Phillip

I prefer Chinook in my Porter. I like the rough bittering. Willamette was too floral for me.

Summarizing a table from DGB (Daniels), Hops used in NHC Second Round Porters

Two most popular hops by use:

Bittering: N. Brewer, Goldings
Flavor: Cascade, Goldings
Aroma: Fuggle, and a tie between quite a few others including: Goldings, Willamette, Cascade....

Only two uses of dry hopping total and they used Goldings and Saaz.

I like Northern Brewer and especially Willamette since they are very inexpensive around here. I've made Stouts/Porters with ea. with equally good results.

Guys, I have access to Nugget, Target and Styrian Savinjski Golding. What should I use? To 20L how much of it? Thanks!

I'm aiming 30 IBU, but it's my first time with that kind of beer. I was thinking in 0,7oz.

Target will work nicely, but go with a slightly lighter hand than you might normally. I like Target but it can be a bit aggressive. Nugget would be fine as well.

I use Willamette or EK Goldings exclusively in my Porters. No need to reinvent the wheel
So, based on what I've said that I don't Have access to the "common" hops, you say to me that It's better not do a porter?

So, based on what I've said that I don't Have access to the "common" hops, you say to me that It's better not do a porter?
Uhh wut? You’re not the thread starter. It’s not unreasonable to assume I wasn’t replying to you. But in that case, then no, brew cider

Uhh wut? You’re not the thread starter. It’s not unreasonable to assume I wasn’t replying to you. But in that case, then no, brew cider
Ohhh yes, the OP fist posted back in 2012. Well done! But ok, i'm new here, it's not like if I need some help and incentive...Thank god there are other ppl that is good and respectful. Thanks man, keep on the good help to the forum.

I'm going to attempt a Sweet Potato Porter in a couple weeks, so I want to bounce any ideas I have off of you guys first.

What are the most common hops used in most porters?

I want something that you can only barely tell is there, but still gives a balance for the sweetness of this style of flavored porter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Fuggles is probably #1 choice . Look up the characteristics of it and if you cant find it readily available find another with similar qualities and characteristics ,porters are not a hop forward style.

If you let us know what you are able to get, perhaps someone will have a more specific suggestion for you.
Personally, I have access to hundreds of hops via online ordering. There are two European varieties I want but cannot find a reasonable source. Bottom line is you can use any hop you want, the question is will it work or taste weird.

If you let us know what you are able to get, perhaps someone will have a more specific suggestion for you.
Personally, I have access to hundreds of hops via online ordering. There are two European varieties I want but cannot find a reasonable source. Bottom line is you can use any hop you want, the question is will it work or taste weird.
Here where I live the shippment is a little too expensive. So, i get the ingredients from local store. They work with weyermann's malt and have a little kind of different hops. My porter is now fermenting, used target hop. thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back