Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > thoughts on a Black Rye Saison recipe.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
jmfitzgerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default thoughts on a Black Rye Saison recipe.

so lately i've really been into rye beers and black ipa's and i have been watching this thread on cloning FW's Wookey Jack:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/fire...ttempt-333436/
PERFECT, but with this summer heat, and my fermentation fridge stopped working a couple months ago, i need to brew something that can ferment at a bit higher temps... so my last brew was this Rye Saison:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/how-...t-comp-238831/
which i just bottled tonight, and WOW, talk about amazing so far. right up my alley. the rye and the 3711 yeast works real well with each other! so then i started thinking what if i turned this into a black rye saison using the recipe for the Wookey Jack clone and just fermented it with the 3711 saison yeast? i think it should be great? any thoughts or changes i should make to work better with the saison yeast?
plisner malts vs pale malts?
other adjustments for the 3711 having a higher attenuation and most likely lower FG?
any sugar additions as most saisons have?
thinking of adding a bit more rye than this recipe also...

any thoughts or adjustments would be great.
thanks