Natural gas burner - need regulator? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Natural gas burner - need regulator?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #21
Jackjama
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Houston, Tx
Posts: 59


Generally you would not need a regulator because the regulator at the meter is set for 1/2 psig or less. Some newer construction uses a 2 psig system. In this case every appliance would need to be regulated.

You can tell if you have a 2 psig system because it is run with flexible and smaller pipe.

If you are in doubt, you need to find out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BeardedIdiot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 525
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackjama View Post
Generally you would not need a regulator because the regulator at the meter is set for 1/2 psig or less. Some newer construction uses a 2 psig system. In this case every appliance would need to be regulated.

You can tell if you have a 2 psig system because it is run with flexible and smaller pipe.

If you are in doubt, you need to find out.
My house is 26 years old, and all the natural gas line is the hard black pipe typical of natural gas line installations.
__________________
Kegged: Octoberfest Ale
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone
Kegged: Bee-Cave Haus Pale Ale
Ready to Keg: Milk Stout
Primary: empty
On Deck: planning a Belgian Red Ale and another blonde ale for easy summer drinking.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,245
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts


If you do go all the way back to the 1" trunk, you will have to use unions because you can't thread a fitting into the middle of a run.

Also, you want to leave some backpressure on the trunk so i would reduce to 3/4 before a long run to your brew area.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
Corny Keg Dry Hop Canisters $26.50 for limited time
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
Hockeyman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Selkirk, MB
Posts: 41
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Also, you want to leave some backpressure on the trunk so i would reduce to 3/4 before a long run to your brew area.
Thats not how natural gas pipe is sized... Pipe is sized according to the load. There's no need to "backpressure" as the regulator ensures a constant 7" wc and will lockup and relieve excess pressure from the vent if pressure exceeds 7" wc when the attached appliances stop using gas.

Think of the pipe as a straw and your burners are sucking gas. If you reduce the pipe too much you will not allow the burners to get enough gas. This is why gas piping needs to be sized correctly.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,245
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts


Agreed. I don't know what I'm talking about.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
Corny Keg Dry Hop Canisters $26.50 for limited time
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,989
Liked 266 Times on 201 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot View Post
My house is 26 years old, and all the natural gas line is the hard black pipe typical of natural gas line installations.
STOP. If you call it "hard black pipe", this may not be a job for you. IMHO

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,989
Liked 266 Times on 201 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
Thats not how natural gas pipe is sized... Pipe is sized according to the load. There's no need to "backpressure" as the regulator ensures a constant 7" wc and will lockup and relieve excess pressure from the vent if pressure exceeds 7" wc when the attached appliances stop using gas.

Think of the pipe as a straw and your burners are sucking gas. If you reduce the pipe too much you will not allow the burners to get enough gas. This is why gas piping needs to be sized correctly.
Lets call this pressure drop, "use of BTU's" and the supply gas line needs to be able to feed NG to everything running without dropping pressure to anything. Think of it like a water hose with lots of sprinklers (burners) and everytime some water is used the pressure drops. Now in this case when the pressure drops on say the furnace, the flame could burn the house down. I'm not saying I know it all, and in other parts of the country it's different. But I was a pipe fitter for 13years and take great pride that I never killed anyone,, that I know of.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BeardedIdiot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 525
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
STOP. If you call it "hard black pipe", this may not be a job for you. IMHO
I called it "hard black pipe" to differentiate from the above person asking if it was the flexible lightly colored lines found in newer houses. I've worked with this before, and never had any issues.

Considering it is black steel pipe, I don't see what the problem with calling it "hard black pipe" is?
__________________
Kegged: Octoberfest Ale
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone
Kegged: Bee-Cave Haus Pale Ale
Ready to Keg: Milk Stout
Primary: empty
On Deck: planning a Belgian Red Ale and another blonde ale for easy summer drinking.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,989
Liked 266 Times on 201 Posts


I didn't mean to offend. I am bad about typing things and getting my message across the way I intend. The heart of what I am saying is running pipe is not hard but the rules of working with natural gas are unforgiving. I am old school in all my piping, names and know how. We called it iron (black pipe), plastic, or copper. I have been out of the trade for a few years, things have changed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BeardedIdiot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 525
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I didn't mean to offend. I am bad about typing things and getting my message across the way I intend. The heart of what I am saying is running pipe is not hard but the rules of working with natural gas are unforgiving. I am old school in all my piping, names and know how. We called it iron (black pipe), plastic, or copper. I have been out of the trade for a few years, things have changed.
No problem. I am VERY careful working with natural gas. Like I said, if I decide to set up a line in the basement, I may have a licensed plumber/HVAC guy run the line for me, rather than doing it myself. Just depends on how much it costs and if I decide I want to brew in my basement or not.

With planning on doing BIAB with a single keggle/burner, the existing line on my back deck will do for now, and if I get a burner that can run on either NG or propane, I can brew on the driveway/in the mouth of the garage if I want to as well.
__________________
Kegged: Octoberfest Ale
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone
Kegged: Bee-Cave Haus Pale Ale
Ready to Keg: Milk Stout
Primary: empty
On Deck: planning a Belgian Red Ale and another blonde ale for easy summer drinking.

Meads: BOMM, JAOM and Tart-Cherry Melomel aging.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurricane Burner/Natural Gas burner distance phoenixs4r Equipment/Sanitation 1 11-09-2011 07:31 PM
Natural Gas Burner bellecitybrewer Equipment/Sanitation 6 05-05-2011 01:50 PM
Does a Natural gas burner pose the same problems a Propane burner poses? Endovelico Equipment/Sanitation 15 01-28-2011 05:48 PM
Natural Gas Burner Sudz Equipment/Sanitation 22 07-07-2010 05:11 PM
Natural Gas Burner thedude123 Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-19-2008 08:10 PM


Forum Jump