Just a couple questions. - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Just a couple questions.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
sawbossFogg

Recipes 

Aug 2012
Mammoth Lakes, California
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Hey folks, I'll keep it short, but looking for some direction. Been brewing off and on for about 15 years. Starting from scratch with a new modest all grain setup. Can't really afford multiple burners or kettles, so I'm gonna stick w the cooler mashing. However, I would like to start direct firing mash, but like I said$$..Anyway, staring w a 15 gallon Stout kettle. I'm ready for a pump and looking forward to whirlpool coning. My big question is should I use a plate chiller as I whirl the wort and subsequently use an aerator or just stick with immersion chilling/aerating in the fermentor.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbossFogg
Hey folks, I'll keep it short, but looking for some direction. Been brewing off and on for about 15 years. Starting from scratch with a new modest all grain setup. Can't really afford multiple burners or kettles, so I'm gonna stick w the cooler mashing. However, I would like to start direct firing mash, but like I said$$..Anyway, staring w a 15 gallon Stout kettle. I'm ready for a pump and looking forward to whirlpool coning. My big question is should I use a plate chiller as I whirl the wort and subsequently use an aerator or just stick with immersion chilling/aerating in the fermentor.
IMO if you are looking at setting up what appears to be a single twit system or a tower set up and adding pumps then for sure get a plate chiller, it's just logical.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010