Best beer I ever made due to 1 variable - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best beer I ever made due to 1 variable

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Unibrow
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 446
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


I got the water report for the Deer Park spring water - it's on their website
__________________
I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Slyko
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Roseville, CA
Posts: 172
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


OK, OK,

Let me add my 2 cents!

I live in an area which has terrible tasting tap water. I hate it. You can tell when it's simply tap water @ a restaurant & I refuse to drink it. There is no guess work. Good tasting water in our area is a luxury.

Now common sense dictates beer is 99% water. So. If you start with a better product, won't you end up with a much more superior product?

I use a reverse osmosis filter at home but it takes me a whole day before to fill up the 9 gallons for my brewing project the next day. But based on your suggestion, I'll try this bottled water next. Walmart sells a 5 gallon jug for $10. Includes the #2 plastic bottle. I'll never buy another Better Bottle again.

I know, I'm just a overzealous nerd.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Unibrow
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 446
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyko View Post
OK, OK,

I use a reverse osmosis filter at home but it takes me a whole day before to fill up the 9 gallons for my brewing project the next day. But based on your suggestion, I'll try this bottled water next. Walmart sells a 5 gallon jug for $10. Includes the #2 plastic bottle. I'll never buy another Better Bottle again.
I usually buy 6 gallons to end up with 5 gallons in the bucket from the boil off. And just check to make sure if you're getting spring or distilled, cause there is a difference between the two.

My method has been mash/boil with mostly spring and top off with distilled.
__________________
I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts


I found that my water is great for stouts, but all of my other beers were not as great as they could be. I got a water report, then starting diluting my tap water with RO water.

The RO water worked so great that I finally bought my own RO system!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Unibrow
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 446
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I found that my water is great for stouts, but all of my other beers were not as great as they could be. I got a water report, then starting diluting my tap water with RO water.

The RO water worked so great that I finally bought my own RO system!
That's weird because I'm the exact opposite - my water does wonders with light beers...but anytime I tried to make a darker beer (even with minimal amounts of roasted barley or dark malts) it was always below average, and sometimes even straight up bad.
__________________
I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unibrow View Post
That's weird because I'm the exact opposite - my water does wonders with light beers...but anytime I tried to make a darker beer (even with minimal amounts of roasted barley or dark malts) it was always below average, and sometimes even straight up bad.
I have alkaline water, with lots of bicarbonate. That's why my kolsch with my tap water is harsh, while my oatmeal stout is fantastic. By getting a water profile, now I'm able to mix my tap water with RO (or use all of one or the other, depending on what I'm making) and get the perfect mash pH.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
logdrum
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
North Olmsted, Ohio
Posts: 928
Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts


If you can get out to White House Springs, you can get 10 gal (self fill) for a buck. They'll mail you a very detailed water report as well. Cleveland water is quite alkaline, but has been historically cited as good for amber/dark beers, not so much for lighter. I'm just beginning to delve the water minutiae, acidifying my sparge water is my next trial. Cleveland water must be OK, I'm sure Great Lakes doesn't buy their water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
KISS Brew
 
KISS Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Athens, Georgia
Posts: 546
Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyko View Post
Walmart sells a 5 gallon jug for $10. Includes the #2 plastic bottle. I'll never buy another Better Bottle again.
As long as it's really #2 plastic. Some of these water bottles are made of different plastic that's suitable for water and not much else.
__________________
Fermenting / Conditioning:
Beyond the Pale Ale, Cut and Dry Stout

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,988
Liked 3707 Times on 3179 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
If you can get out to White House Springs, you can get 10 gal (self fill) for a buck. They'll mail you a very detailed water report as well. Cleveland water is quite alkaline, but has been historically cited as good for amber/dark beers, not so much for lighter. I'm just beginning to delve the water minutiae, acidifying my sparge water is my next trial. Cleveland water must be OK, I'm sure Great Lakes doesn't buy their water.
Well,this makes me wonder what water I should use for my 1st partial mash kit I have lying in waiting? I'd like to get this cascade pale ale kit to come out great with this PM experiment.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
silvery37
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
austin, tx
Posts: 62
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


I have very hard water and do the same thing. I use half distilled and half spring water. I do partial mashes and mash with the spring water and then add the distilled water to the boil. It does add a little money to the overall cost but considering what I have in equipment and the time and wait for a brew to be done I dont mind spending the extra 6 dollars.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Priming sugar amount, variable ambient tempurature asterix404 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 12-22-2011 08:47 PM
Variable fermentation temps? GUZ808 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 11-21-2011 05:21 AM
First beer bottled, second beer to be made this week... ColoradoBrewMeister Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-15-2011 01:18 AM
Damn Texas weather - variable primary fermentation temps DaveMcPhee Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 02-03-2011 02:57 PM
Variable carbonation loobobone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 01-25-2009 12:03 AM


Forum Jump