Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "Luxury sports car..."

Old 08-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
I'm so tempted to look at the older Eclipses and see if I can find one that's really been taken care of just for the reasons you mention above...
Well if the Eclipse is interesting, what about a Supra?

Or if the rally cars seem a bit rough around the edges, there's always the Saab version of the WRX. Can't recall its name now.

Also, I am always kinda intrigued by the Volvo turbo models. They had a 300hp station wagon a number of years ago and seem to have some pretty hot cars that rank pretty high on the luxury scale... Though service could be an issue.

And I second (third) the Caddy CTS suggestions. The CTS-V is a beast.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 499

i've driven jap sports cars (used to have an rx7, driven 240's, etc), euros, porsche's, etc....

the best all around performance car was my bmw 328i.

"put a lot into"? doing what, exactly? i've had to replace the clutch and the radiator (130k miles). drivetrain is indestructiable. sure, you may have to replace a door handle or two (seriously, what's their problem with that?) but you'll never get stuck on the side of the road.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

mine got 23 summer 19 winter average. 2.8 inline 6.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
bueschen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have to say the point about European cars is intriguing. I've owned 2 different BMW's (one a 325 xi in the states and the other a 320i here in Europe) and both have been fantastic. The 325 I bought new in 2003 and owned it for 3 years or so and never had a single problem with it.
The 320 I bought here in Germany with 120,000 kilometers (about 75,000 miles) on it and I drive about 230km (140 miles) per day. I have had only one single problem when the alternator died last month. Other than that that it has been absolutely trouble free and of course being RWD is so much more fun to drive!
My advice is to not let one shop (even if it's someone you know) tell the whole story. If you look around enough you will always find someone who swears that so and so cars are the worst. But then again they can't all be bad can they?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
DregAddict
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I worked as a valet for 8 years, so I've driven pretty much every car out there. If you don't want to get a European, then check out the caddy CTS like others have mentioned, or the Lexus IS. Both of those come in 4-door and coupe models. The G37 that you mentioned is also a very nice car. If you're willing to check out European cars take a look at te BMW 3-series and the Audi A4 and A3.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
kroach01
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Give the e46 m3 a look. Fantastic car, very fast (4 seconds), amazing handling, good gas mileage, nice rear seats, and an absolute drive to blast. I've driven many, many cars including m5s, porsches, benzes, stis, infinitis, Acura NSX and on and on. For the price point, an e46 m3 is incredible, and it's smack in your price point. The 335 is incredible as well, just not quite as raw and high performance as the ///M.
I've owned two bimmers and have had no major problems with either. The older e30s and e36s could be a bit rough, but e46 and the current generations are very solid. Personally, I think very few cars measure up to the e46 m3 at your price point.
Good luck in your search.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Change your #1 priority to: Has to be a stick :P

What's the purpose of having a sports car without feeling.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 846 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I spoke about manual to my wife today. Initially I told her I'd stay with an automatic for her, but today I just bluntly stated, "I'm getting another stick and I'll just teach you." Considering we're having our kid tomorrow, her response was very surprising: "Sounds like fun."

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man Card automatically renewed for another year.
Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

stick in NYC sounds like a b*tch.