Summer Squash Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douggefreshvt

Reaction score
Anyone tried using Summer squash in a lager ( or an ale)? I have tons of it in my garden and thinking it might make a tasty brew because of its sweet tendencies. I have a bohemian lager going right now and could rack onto that yeast cake in a couple weeks when I rack that into secondary. I think I would bake it to mush, purée then add it to the boil.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

If you are going to use it, I would bake it in the oven for about 30 mins with some brown sugar/honey and then add it to the mash to get all the starches converted by the malt enzymes. I do that with my pumpkin ale and it turns out great! Use rice hulls, so you don't get a stuck sparge!

douggefreshvt said:
Do you think it makes sense to purée it prior to adding to the mash?

You could probably just dice it up and roast it in the oven until it is as soft as you want and then toss it in the mash. I just used puree from cans when I lived in the US. I'm in Australia now and they don't have canned pumpkin puree. I'm just going to dice it up, roast it, then mix it into the mash. Probably easier to sparge than with puree.

Do you think it makes sense to purée it prior to adding to the mash?

I agree with the other comments.... cook it first and then add it to the mash.

If you purée it you might need to use "rice-hulls" to assist with the sparge, half a poung for a 5 gallon batch should be enough I think.

DPB

Latest posts

Back