Any good ideas of what to add to a stout? - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any good ideas of what to add to a stout?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #31
lebucheron

Recipes 

Jul 2012
La Ronge, Sask
Liked 58 Times on 23 Posts

bacon. Breakfast stout!

drives_a_bike Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #32
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Rye! I'm halfway through the boil on a rye stout right now. I'm not a real big fan of most rye-ipa's but I think it's awesome in a stout.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #33
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Liked 722 Times on 563 Posts

Maple wood chips. Black cherries. Pecans. Peppercorns(any color). Elderberry. Sweet gale, fun stuff nice buzz. Guava.

There's a few interesting ideas.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Gz Up, Gose Down
Primary : Key West Best Bitter
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Watermelon Berliner, Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Cypress aged Chocolate Stout, Oak Aged Chocolate Stout, Smoked Porter
On Deck : Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #34
biochemedic

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Carnegie, PA
Liked 222 Times on 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
All of the tastebuds on the left side of my tongue just surrendered after watching the ones on the right side spontaneously burst in to flames just from reading that.
Yes, thank you, thank you! It's even *better* than that when you taste it in real life! (actually, I don't have the heat cranked up that high...just enough for a tingle along with the smokiness, roastyness, and chocolatey goodness... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebucheron View Post
bacon. Breakfast stout!
Yes! In planning stages to try this with a buddy of mine who is a home meat smoker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
Rye! I'm halfway through the boil on a rye stout right now. I'm not a real big fan of most rye-ipa's but I think it's awesome in a stout.
Now this sounds good too! I'm getting inspired to brew another stout very soon, especially since the colder months are on the way...

BTW Chess...you should post that recipe in the recipe section, and PM me when you do, I'd like to check that one out... (Or at least let me know how much rye you use in the grist...)
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider (2014 & 2015)
Planned: Fruitcake Old Ale, Not Just for Breakfast Stout. Otherwise, so many ideas, not enough time to brew them....

Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #35
ludomonster
Recipes 

Feb 2012
berlin, nj
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

Ice cream

Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #36
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
BTW Chess...you should post that recipe in the recipe section, and PM me when you do, I'd like to check that one out... (Or at least let me know how much rye you use in the grist...)
It's still in the experimental stages now, but if it turns out any good I'll definitely post it! Basically I just went with 25% rye, half of it malted and half flaked. Then your usual roasted barley, chocolate, crystal, and a touch of black patent. It should be under 7% so I'm just gonna do a month in primary and straight to bottles. Hopefully some will still be left by winter time

Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #37
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

May 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
As was mentioned already, orange and chocolate might be good. I love chocolate covered orange peel and have been thinking about working up a stout recipe to include those flavors.
I was thinking of doing a porter or stout like this...any idea how much orange zest I would need?
On Tap: Nada

Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #38
WesleyS
Recipes 

May 2012
Liked 4216 Times on 2789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drives_a_bike

I was thinking of doing a porter or stout like this...any idea how much orange zest I would need?
Not quite sure. I was planning on using sweet orange peel and fresh zest but don't know where to start on amounts.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #39
diegobonatto

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brett WLP644 for tropical fruit aroma/taste or another funky smell/taste.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #40
terrapinj

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts

hemp seeds add a nice bit of nuttiness

i brewed an oatmeal hemp stout earlier in the year that came out quite delicious