Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Over carbed beer

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Mojavejohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Over carbed beer

So, I have been having trouble with the last three batches of beer that I have brewed. All have been over carbonated to some extent. The last being the worst, with multiple bottles exploding. All batches have come from Morebeer kits, but different recipes. Up until now I have not had any problems.

I bottle condition my beer. It sits inside my house in a dark corner, or a cupboard, general staying anywhere from 70-75 degrees.

I have read on here that I should be measuring out my priming sugar, instead of just adding everything that they provide.

Please explain this, I know nothing about it. If this isn't the problem, then what might it be?

Thanks

Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How long did you ferment the batch? What was the OG, and FG when you bottled?
You should weigh out the priming sugar when you prepare it so you aren't putting too many fermentables into the bucket.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Mojavejohn
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
How long did you ferment the batch? What was the OG, and FG when you bottled?
You should weigh out the priming sugar when you prepare it so you aren't putting too many fermentables into the bucket.
I left this last batch in the primary for almost a month. The other batches were about 2-3 between a primary and secondary.

I really think they had finished fermenting, the gravity reading had stopped dropping when I bottled.

I have seen guys on here talk about measuring out their priming sugar. How do I know how much to add? I have only brewed the beer kits and the recipes have never said anything about measuring out the priming sugar.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1450 Posts

There are a number of priming sugar calculators on the intertoobs, this is just one of them. Plug in your numbers and it will provide the weight of the sugar to use...

Cheers!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Mojavejohn
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
There are a number of priming sugar calculators on the intertoobs, this is just one of them. Plug in your numbers and it will provide the weight of the sugar to use...

Cheers!
thanks, I will take a look

Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

If you had bottles explode, I find it hard that the normal 5oz of priming sugar would cause that unless you had other issues. Over carbed taste, sure I could see that for some styles even.

If you have close to 5 gal full batches, you might not be mixing up the sugar well before you bottle.

Other thing is, if you aren't measuring your gravity, and it's not finishing, or even stalling out, it could get kicked up when you bottle it. Your temp for carbing is fine, so I'd suspect your beers aren't done fermenting if you are getting bottle bombs.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Mojavejohn
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
If you had bottles explode, I find it hard that the normal 5oz of priming sugar would cause that unless you had other issues. Over carbed taste, sure I could see that for some styles even.

If you have close to 5 gal full batches, you might not be mixing up the sugar well before you bottle.

Other thing is, if you aren't measuring your gravity, and it's not finishing, or even stalling out, it could get kicked up when you bottle it. Your temp for carbing is fine, so I'd suspect your beers aren't done fermenting if you are getting bottle bombs.
Only the last batch has had bottle bombs . The other two batches have just been really foamy, and tough to drink. I always check the gravity, so I don't think that is the problem. I just checked the recipe and it said that there is 4oz. of priming sugar.

How do you mix your sugar. I will boil mine for 10 minutes then dump it into the bottling bucket. At this point a transfer my beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket. I have forgotten to add the sugar at this point a couple of times in the past. When this happens I will pour the priming sugar into the bottling bucket and stir it up. I don't know if that is proper but it seems to me that it is getting mixed in pretty good.

What do you think?

Reason: addition of info

Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
FATC1TY
Recipes 

I don't see an issue with the priming sugar addition. When I bottle, I'll boil the sugar with some water, and then cool it down quickly so I'm not adding boiling sugar to my wort. I'd add some first, and rack into it, and then add the rest after I've got about 3 gallons. I'll slowly stir it up without adding air to the beer and risking oxidization.

If you are going all that, then it's not the sugar addition. It has to be that somehow the yeast is getting enough sugar somehow.. From too much priming sugar, or perhaps there's a bit of fermentation still going on when you bottle. Bottomline is, the yeast are still going strong, with more than you anticipated in the bottles. Only way it can happen.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
Mojavejohn
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What about some type of an infection or bacteria? I thought that I read on this site that gushers/bottle bombs could be caused by some type of an infection. This would make perfect sense. The last few batches have all had the same problem to a certain degree, with the last batch having 3-4 bombs so far. If there is am infection I should be able to taste it, shouldn't I? I haven't opened any yet, that will come tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Infections could cause it because it's eating up the sugars left, and making co2.

Could be the case, but that many batches is pretty concerning that you've managed to get an infection everytime. Some of them you could taste over time, but early on, probably not.