Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oktoberfest beer

Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
BrewerRob23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oktoberfest beer

So I got a kit to brew an Oktoberfest, it came with the dry lager yeast, I bought the white labs cry havoc yeast cause I didn't have temp control, but now I do. Which yeast should I use? And should I chill it as a lager or hold it in the ale range? I would appreciate any advice or comments on what difference it will make

Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Kate00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Assuming you have a fridge to hold the batch at lager fermenting temps, 50 degrees or so, I vote for the lager yeast. Oktoberfest beers are traditionally lagers, so go that route. If you dont have a fridge to hold it at the lower temp, use the ale yeast because the lager yeasts will make a lot of off tastes at warm temps.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't lager (cause I can't at the moment) but I think if you use a lager yeast it wont be done in time, don't you have to lager for a few months before bottling or keging? I made an Octoberfest last week and use Whyeast 2112, it's an ale yeast that is fermented colder between 55-65 degrees which works for me since my basement is in the low 60's all year. I'll bottle next week and be ready for October.