Wort Chiller Advice - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wort Chiller Advice

Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
ThePoShow
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Gilbert, AZ

Hey guys, I am finally looking at ordering a wort chiller so I no longer need to make an I've bath to cool my wort. I am a small time home brewer at the moment working with a 16 qt pot. The width on my pot is 12 1/2". Should I order the smaller 8" wort chiller or the 10" for my size pot? Also, pros and cons on stainless steel vs copper?

:cheers:

Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Liked 722 Times on 563 Posts

The bigger the chiller and wider the tubing the quicker it cools. I made mine myself out of copper and it works great but in my opinion I'd go with stainless. I like stainless better for equipment if you can find and afford it. Just my 2 cents though. What I will recommend though is to get the pop locks for it so you don't have to screw/unscrew any hoses. They just plug in and unplug. I've found them to be very inexpensive and incredibly helpful, one small brewing investment I'm glad I made.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Gz Up, Gose Down
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Watermelon Berliner, Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Cypress aged Chocolate Stout, Oak Aged Chocolate Stout, Smoked Porter
On Deck : Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Premium Bitter, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
ThePoShow
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Gilbert, AZ

Awesome. I appreciate the advice. I will be ordering my wort chiller soon. The website I am ordering from sells the stainless steel models cheaper than the copper. I think I will definitely be going to stainless route.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Grants Pass/ Nuevo, Or. / Ca.
Liked 100 Times on 65 Posts

I'm assuming your ordering from nybrewsupply they are the cheapest I've seen. Stainless vs copper, to me very little difference, but copper is supposed to conduct heat quicker, but stainless would take more abuse.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
ThePoShow
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Gilbert, AZ

Good to know about the differences. I'm ordering the wort chiller from Midwest supplies because I have a gift card.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
pecochran
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Shakopee, MN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a thought. I am one of the least technically apt people in the world, and I made a nice looking, fully functional wort chiller for pretty cheap. There are great videos out there to show you how. But good luck either way!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
, Guatemala
Liked 307 Times on 210 Posts

You might also take a look at immersion versus plate chillers. Duda Diesel has a great product at a price which is competitive with immersion chillers. Lots of discussion here, just search the forums.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
signpost
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Berkley, Michigan
Liked 156 Times on 134 Posts

Can anybody with experience using a stainless steel chiller give any info on whether the lower heat conductivity noticeably lengthens the time it takes to chill the wort?
Fermenting - BBD Sour; Oat No! (an Oat Wine); Signpost Old Ale; Chris' Tall Ale 2.0; SSB (Signpost Sour Blonde); County Western Bottled - NB Ares' Biere de Mars; Ol' Bitter Bastard; Chris' Tall Ale; 4 small batch sour blends - 1 w/ cherries and 1 w/ peaches; Back To School Porter w/cacao & vanilla; Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Signpost Oud Bruin; Land of Pils and Honey, Imp. Saison with Clover Honey; Ad Hoc Berliner Weisse Kegged - BBD WIPA (but I think it has chlorophenolics); Keg #2 is EMPTY!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost
Can anybody with experience using a stainless steel chiller give any info on whether the lower heat conductivity noticeably lengthens the time it takes to chill the wort?
I have and use both, noticed no difference. I like the stainless better because, well, it's stainless. I'm actually selling a used one with a recirc tube connected to it

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
amandabab
Recipes 

Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
I have both and for our purpose and at our scale the difference in heat conductivity doesn't mean squat.

Brulosopher Likes This