Funny things you've overheard about beer - Page 66 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #651
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Ryush806's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Shreveport, Louisiana
Posts: 789
Liked 92 Times on 64 Posts


Tonight at a restaurant with fairly standard (aka bad) beer selection, my wife ordered a Stella Artois. After about 10 minutes the waiter came back and said "I'm sorry ma'am. What was the name of the wine you ordered again?" :facepalm: I figured Stella was pretty standard but I guess not.


__________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #652
Leadgolem
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 1037 Times on 781 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
I figure that people drinking "the stuff on the bottom" will ultimately lead to the Zombie Apocalypse. we should be immune from the many years handling yeast. brewers with beards should be able to command zombies by way of thought alone.
This bears investigation. I should have gnome something like this would arise...


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #653
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,961
Liked 1670 Times on 1250 Posts


Yeast don't convert you into a zombie. That is preposterous.

I thought this was a serious discussion.

Consumption of an entire yeast cake would not make you die, though you might want to.....for upon the next Friday evening at 8:43pm you will transform into a half man half pig monstrosity which will become the bane of your community. Yep, yeast is were-pig juice.....and god knows we don't need more of those.(except for a few obscure beer recipes)

CrypticIntent Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #654
TyTanium
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 3,952
Liked 553 Times on 389 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Yeast don't convert you into a zombie.

Consumption of an entire yeast cake would not make you die...
True. I used to save the slurry in the fridge and mix it with OJ in the morning. Yeast is a superfood you know. Also nice in Belgian waffles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #655
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,961
Liked 1670 Times on 1250 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
True. I used to save the slurry in the fridge and mix it with OJ in the morning. Yeast is a superfood you know. Also nice in Belgian waffles.
Mmmmmm waffles....SUPERGOOD!!

Mmmmmmm yeast slurry...OJ..... SUPERPUKE!!!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #656
ArrogantDusty
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
St Louis, Missouri
Posts: 173
Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts


I try not to correct people unless they are my closer friends and most of them know about beer now because of me. We were all there once and it is hard not to come off like a beer snob when talking to strangers.

The Guinness meal in a glass thing messes with me though. I just don't understand how a sane person can really think there are like 500 or whatever calories in such an easy drinking beverage.

I tried for a time to correct this by showing them the calories on my smart phone and tell them it is like drinking a bud heavy (that's what they lovingly call Budweiser here in St Louis). It's always a shock somehow and they say that they think the Guinness that they brew in Ireland is different then and that is like a meal in a glass. whatever...I have given up. I just have them try my actual heavy stout or IPA and watch their faces.

About a month ago, I was out with some friends and had someone in the group question my choice on ordering an IPA. He kind of did it loud enough that it was like calling me out in front of the group. He said, "I thought you were a beer guy, don't you brew?" I said I did. He asked why I was drinking a "pale beer" then. He of course had a Guinness in front of him and said that he figured that I would be drinking the same.

I told him that I was a fan of most beer styles and do enjoy Guinness, but wanted something a bit heavier. I chose these words on purpose because the little devil on my shoulder knew that it would set him off and he was already kind of being a jackass. He of course mentioned the meal in a glass and the color as proof that Guinness was the heaviest beer. I had him right where I wanted him.

I politely disagreed and told him that he could decide for himself and bought him one of what I was drinking, unfortunately for him, I was drinking a Stone Ruination...

The mingled look of horror and embarrassment that went over his face was well worth the price of a beer. He kept with it and tried to keep drinking it but in the end could not. He gave me the fact that it was a hard beer to drink but still said that it was just because it was a bad beer. He said that no one would drink that beer. We were at a craft beer lover bar so I pointed out how often the Stone beers were being poured.

I then told him since he didn't like bitter beers, he should try what my girlfriend was drinking, if he liked stouts, he would probably like it too. I guess I am the jackass at this point because she was drinking 2nd Shift Liquid Spiritual Delight. After that, he conceded that he didn't know as much as he thought but still blamed others for his faulty info.

Since then, he ha been trying a lot of beers though so that worked out alright. The only problem is, a well informed jackass is worse because he'll probably pull my trick on others who are less deserving.
__________________
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you got for me is lite beer?" ~Biff

4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #657
gcdowd
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
Posts: 1,878
Liked 201 Times on 151 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantDusty View Post
I try not to correct people unless they are my closer friends and most of them know about beer now because of me. We were all there once and it is hard not to come off like a beer snob when talking to strangers.

The Guinness meal in a glass thing messes with me though. I just don't understand how a sane person can really think there are like 500 or whatever calories in such an easy drinking beverage.

I tried for a time to correct this by showing them the calories on my smart phone and tell them it is like drinking a bud heavy (that's what they lovingly call Budweiser here in St Louis). It's always a shock somehow and they say that they think the Guinness that they brew in Ireland is different then and that is like a meal in a glass. whatever...I have given up. I just have them try my actual heavy stout or IPA and watch their faces.

About a month ago, I was out with some friends and had someone in the group question my choice on ordering an IPA. He kind of did it loud enough that it was like calling me out in front of the group. He said, "I thought you were a beer guy, don't you brew?" I said I did. He asked why I was drinking a "pale beer" then. He of course had a Guinness in front of him and said that he figured that I would be drinking the same.

I told him that I was a fan of most beer styles and do enjoy Guinness, but wanted something a bit heavier. I chose these words on purpose because the little devil on my shoulder knew that it would set him off and he was already kind of being a jackass. He of course mentioned the meal in a glass and the color as proof that Guinness was the heaviest beer. I had him right where I wanted him.

I politely disagreed and told him that he could decide for himself and bought him one of what I was drinking, unfortunately for him, I was drinking a Stone Ruination...

The mingled look of horror and embarrassment that went over his face was well worth the price of a beer. He kept with it and tried to keep drinking it but in the end could not. He gave me the fact that it was a hard beer to drink but still said that it was just because it was a bad beer. He said that no one would drink that beer. We were at a craft beer lover bar so I pointed out how often the Stone beers were being poured.

I then told him since he didn't like bitter beers, he should try what my girlfriend was drinking, if he liked stouts, he would probably like it too. I guess I am the jackass at this point because she was drinking 2nd Shift Liquid Spiritual Delight. After that, he conceded that he didn't know as much as he thought but still blamed others for his faulty info.

Since then, he ha been trying a lot of beers though so that worked out alright. The only problem is, a well informed jackass is worse because he'll probably pull my trick on others who are less deserving.
Epic.
__________________
God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #658
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,320
Liked 4667 Times on 3144 Posts


People never believe me when I tell them Guinness is actually a fairly light beer if you aren't considering color. But then if their beer isn't the color of a well-hydrated man's urine, they are afraid of it around here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #659
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Posts: 4,005
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
People never believe me when I tell them Guinness is actually a fairly light beer if you aren't considering color.
I believe you!
__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #660
BigTuna
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
New Haven, CT
Posts: 133
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_L View Post
guess the BMC crowd has 2 categories, light beer (fizzy yellow water) and guiness (anything darker than urine)
Haha, this is the truth. I just had my good friend over for some first pours of a brown ale I did and he brought a friend. When I poured the beer, mind you, BROWN ALE the friend of my friend said "OHHH, IT'S LIKE GUINESS!" I had to contain myself, not from laughter but from being extremely sarcastic haha. I just told him, Not every dark beer is guiness.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a funny beer saying!!! dcodd87 General Beer Discussion 90 01-16-2016 02:24 AM
Funny Beer Commercials KeyWestBrewing General Beer Discussion 0 06-16-2012 05:38 AM
Funny Beer Commercial doctorRobert General Beer Discussion 1 06-09-2011 06:51 PM
The funny things you find on Craigslist briguy General Beer Discussion 9 02-12-2011 11:44 PM
32 things you can do with beer ayrton General Beer Discussion 9 03-26-2007 08:38 PM


Forum Jump