Funny things you've overheard about beer - Page 287 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #2861
May 2008
Liked 49 Times on 20 Posts

Overheard at John's Grocery here in Iowa City...crowded beer cooler and a few of this years barely legal college students picking out the nights beer, hands already full of bud light and coors light..."oh dude we have to get this one (Bells 2 hearted), it's made in Michigan so it's gotta be good."

As opposed to beers brewed in any other state or country for that matter...I walked out with Boulevard Saison-Bret, La Choufee Houblon and some Framboise for the wife...I spent more on 3 bottles of beer than they spent for their whole night...maybe it's not a good thing to be a beer snob?

Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #2862
mean old man
Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Liked 2141 Times on 1341 Posts

Originally Posted by bergen69 View Post
"it's made in Michigan so it's gotta be good."
as far as what we get around here; Bell's, Founders & New Holland, I can't argue with dude

it's still funny
"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #2863
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3692 Times on 3172 Posts

Is that anything like bringing out the Hellman's? I instructed my wife to get me a 6'r of IPA for National IPA day. My older son the manager steered her towards the Lagunitas IPA I didn't see at Giant Eagle yet myself. Reminds me a lot of my 1st IPA in My Gallery. Being my 1st West Coast IPA (that I know was one),it was very pleasant indeed.
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing-
Distopian Sci-Fi-
New! John Henry-

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #2864
Jan 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrousjunkie

Where is this place at? I may have to check them out when I get back from this deployment come October.
It's down at ward, next to the farmers market in the space that Tropics used to have.

Originally Posted by badgerbrew14
It's not too far from Waikiki. Nice place, the food is as good as the beer list. Really enjoyed that place!
Glad you enjoyed it! I love it lol...

Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #2865
Sep 2007
Honolulu HI/ Hickam AFB, Hawaii
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Now I just need October to get here....seems so much further away now....

Old 08-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #2866
Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaiibboy View Post
It's down at ward, next to the farmers market in the space that Tropics used to have.

Glad you enjoyed it! I love it lol...
I was there when they had a bunch of Cantillon available. To date Iris at REAL is the most expensive single beer I've purchased, but well worth it - luckily per diem is good in Honolulu.
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #2867
Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts

"Ooh I can really taste the honey in it." - My wife regarding a Newcastle brown ale
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post's fine if it's fermenting.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #2868
Mar 2013
Evans, Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leadgolem

Nothing wrong with a box of mac'n cheese once in a while. Generally though, I'd rather have the steak.
That's why I loved the quote. I eat Mac n cheese every now and then, and have a BL from time to time as well, but to say that's all Ill drink is a bit childish. Branch out a bit, try the steak, try the lobster, he'll, try the hamburger helper even. My rule of thumb is; I won't knock a beer till I've had a six pack back to back, then if I still don't like it, ill swear it off.
Enjoying a "Rumbarrelstiltskin" right now, my porter aged for six months in a rum barrel.

Leadgolem Likes This 
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #2869
Oct 2012
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I was at BWW (I know, but it was where my friends wanted to go...) And I ordered a pint of Arrogant Bastard, the bartender said "ugh, that stuff tastes like bark much." I had my friends try it and while it was better received than the Wormtown brewery ipa I had at first, they were inclined to agree with her haha.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #2870
Sep 2012
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I was in the store the other day. I over heard a guy talking about beer. He was a somewhat gangster type. So I slowed down with my six pack of Anchor Steam in hand. He is telling his wife "Hey Babe I'm going to get some crazy beer tonight" he picks up a Left Hand Brewing Co, Milk Stout Nitro. Say yeah this one looks weird. Starts reading it and says Oh that's nasty babe it has like milk in it. I am not getting that it sounds crap. Not sure but I think he just pick up his Budlight. It made my day