Funny things you've overheard about beer - Page 286 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #2851
Bookworm
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
, Iowa
Posts: 147
Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Haha, no thanks. Though I wouldn't mind if somebody wanted to send me some horn. I'm just learning how to make knives and elk horn makes a great handle.
I tend to horde up all of that I can get for my own knife making. Even though I have not made any in a long time I plan to get set up for it again some day. But just to be fair, my dad also lives in Colorado if you can find him and talk him out of it you can have it. I will give only one hint, look east from Denver.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #2852
Leadgolem
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,716
Liked 1046 Times on 784 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
I tend to horde up all of that I can get for my own knife making. Even though I have not made any in a long time I plan to get set up for it again some day. But just to be fair, my dad also lives in Colorado if you can find him and talk him out of it you can have it. I will give only one hint, look east from Denver.
Lol, ok. That narrows things down I guess. I was joking anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #2853
Bookworm
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
, Iowa
Posts: 147
Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Lol, ok. That narrows things down I guess. I was joking anyway.
I think it was a good hint, at least from my point of view. Seriously though there is a chance I might come across some horn I could give up. If I do will let you know. More knife makers is always a good thing. If you are doing forge work get some high carbon railroad spikes and play with them. They do not tend to sell well but are a lot of fun to make into knives and play with different forging and finishing techniques.

EDIT: Probably should add something beer related... MMmmm Do not drink beer while forging.
EDIT2: Old files are good for forging and just grinding them out... Skip the beer when doing that one also.

Leadgolem Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #2854
Wolfehausbrewery
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Evans, Colorado
Posts: 5
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Had a guy tell me the other day "anyone who drinks bud light and only bud light is like a child who will only eat Craft Macaroni and cheese." I thought it a good analogy! Admitted, I have brewed a few light lagers in my day, and enjoyed them very much. Even made a pickle pils w/ a pickle in every bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2855
bobmcstuff
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
, UK
Posts: 589
Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Agreed forst. "Most of our customers just dont like them" would have been a perfectly acceptable answer.

Unless of course she was just teasing them (and they knew it). I saw a guy order a Bushmills at a bar once and the tender made an exaggerated gasp "thats PROTESTANT whisky!" he said.
To me that's just a quote from The Wire...

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #2856
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
CreamyGoodness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Posts: 7,491
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts


I swear he said it!
__________________
See, that's where the real story is.
In the competition for the attention of the space aliens.
Everyone's equal in the eyes of God, but the space aliens, you've got to figure they would play favorites.




YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #2857
Hawaiibboy
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 275
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister

See, this is the kind of stuff that bothers me. I love craft beer as much as the next guy, maybe even more than most. But when I encounter servers and bartenders who look down their noses at people just because they happen to like light American lagers is bad for craft beer. It gives a horrible impression of snobbery to people who are uninitiated in the craft beer movement.
I regularly frequent a gastropub here on Oahu called "Real". It is probably the coolest "craft beer" bar in town. I always hear people asking for blue moon or a number of various BMC products. Every single one of the tenders has a very similar answer. "Sorry, we don't have that. I could suggest something that will be similar though." That right there is how you do it. Typically if the person is wanting a beer still they enjoy the suggested beer. If they still want a "lite" then they offer them PBR tall boys.

They have about a 150-300 bottle list and 28 or 30 taps that rotate rather frequently. Two of their taps are nitro and two are cask beer machine taps. They almost always have at least one hefewiezen on tap and at least one lager on tap. It's a great place to get your BMC friends to try stepping into the craft world.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #2858
Leadgolem
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,716
Liked 1046 Times on 784 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
I think it was a good hint, at least from my point of view. Seriously though there is a chance I might come across some horn I could give up. If I do will let you know. More knife makers is always a good thing. If you are doing forge work get some high carbon railroad spikes and play with them. They do not tend to sell well but are a lot of fun to make into knives and play with different forging and finishing techniques.

EDIT: Probably should add something beer related... MMmmm Do not drink beer while forging.
EDIT2: Old files are good for forging and just grinding them out... Skip the beer when doing that one also.
Cool. Thanks for the tips. I figured I'd play around with some mild steel bar stock first, then stuff cut out of old saw blades. It should be fun. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do much forge work, if any. Lots of other projects that need my attention around this house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehausbrewery View Post
Had a guy tell me the other day "anyone who drinks bud light and only bud light is like a child who will only eat Craft Macaroni and cheese." I thought it a good analogy! Admitted, I have brewed a few light lagers in my day, and enjoyed them very much. Even made a pickle pils w/ a pickle in every bottle.
Nothing wrong with a box of mac'n cheese once in a while. Generally though, I'd rather have the steak.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #2859
nitrousjunkie
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Honolulu HI/ Hickam AFB, Hawaii
Posts: 203
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibboy View Post
I regularly frequent a gastropub here on Oahu called "Real". It is probably the coolest "craft beer" bar in town. I always hear people asking for blue moon or a number of various BMC products. Every single one of the tenders has a very similar answer. "Sorry, we don't have that. I could suggest something that will be similar though." That right there is how you do it. Typically if the person is wanting a beer still they enjoy the suggested beer. If they still want a "lite" then they offer them PBR tall boys.

They have about a 150-300 bottle list and 28 or 30 taps that rotate rather frequently. Two of their taps are nitro and two are cask beer machine taps. They almost always have at least one hefewiezen on tap and at least one lager on tap. It's a great place to get your BMC friends to try stepping into the craft world.
Where is this place at? I may have to check them out when I get back from this deployment come October.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #2860
badgerbrew14
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 27
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


It's not too far from Waikiki. Nice place, the food is as good as the beer list. Really enjoyed that place!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a funny beer saying!!! dcodd87 General Beer Discussion 94 09-09-2016 12:18 PM
Funny Beer Commercials KeyWestBrewing General Beer Discussion 0 06-16-2012 05:38 AM
Funny Beer Commercial doctorRobert General Beer Discussion 1 06-09-2011 06:51 PM
The funny things you find on Craigslist briguy General Beer Discussion 9 02-12-2011 11:44 PM
32 things you can do with beer ayrton General Beer Discussion 9 03-26-2007 08:38 PM


Forum Jump