Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #1851
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My training partner who found out that I brewed was telling me about the types of beer he likes, which included "the tripe-el." I know it's not that bad, just a mispronunciation, but now every time I see a tripel on the shelves or on tap, I think of tripe

Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #1852
RCCOLA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 61

"Best answer" for yahoo question "What beer has the highest alcohol?"

ok I know about beers and I know this BUD will kick yer butt.thats why I drink millers...its cheaper and less alcohol...they say lite beer has more alcohol but I aint noticed the diff...now about that black mess they call brew over in ireland I dont know if thats even beer...Its sure powerful stuff like yagermeister will kick butt too ..I will stay with my miller

Old 03-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #1853
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar
My training partner who found out that I brewed was telling me about the types of beer he likes, which included "the tripe-el." I know it's not that bad, just a mispronunciation, but now every time I see a tripel on the shelves or on tap, I think of tripe
My BIL calls tripels that too. He like chimey and was telling me how awesome tripe-els were even though he's more of a lager guy according to him. So I said "yeah I brewed a tripel and it turned out pretty good." He just looked at me like I was the one pronouncing it wrong.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #1854
bergen69
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryali

I'm pretty sure it's because most people drink perfectly transparent yellow, thin, watery, flavorless American Light Lagers. These beers are between 2.4% and 4.8% and a "normal" person will talk about having to drink the entire case to even get a buzz. Therefore, by sound reasoning, anything that is not that same fizzy yellow water in appearance MUST be stronger. If it's not this, then it must be that, right?
I love when I have my Belgian strong ale on tap...it's not much darker than bud or miller, however it's 9%...so when "what do you have like bud?" guy comes over that's what he gets. I will pour my oatmeal stout for me at 4.5% and let the fun begin! I call it two for one night.
People Like This 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #1855
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A bunch of friends and I were at a Craft Beer bar last weekend, and they had a nano-brewed Cask Ale on the menu (the name implied a farmhouse style ale). I asked our server if it was a farmhouse ale? She says "I'm not sure if it's brewed on a farm, I thought they made it next door. Want me to check for you?"

Really?! At a place called Beer Revolution
Bisco_Ben Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #1856
hunter_la5
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2722 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 5571

During a brew day a few weeks back my neighbor asked what I was cooking in my big kettle. I explained that I was brewing some beer, and he immediately got excited (he's an elderly retired gent who spends most of his time sitting on the front porch sipping Bud Lites). He asked me if he could have some when it was ready and I promised him I'd bring him over a six pack once it was finished.

A few hours later after I'd finished brewing and cleaned up he asked if he could have his six-pack now. I had to explain to him that it needed several weeks to ferment, age, clarify, and carbonate. I promised I'd bring him his six pack the day it was finished.

The poor old guy looked so sad when I told him he'd have to wait for his beer.... apparently he thought all I had to do was "pour in the alcohol" after I finished brewing and it'd be ready to drink.
SteveHeff Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #1857
Raenon
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigmn View Post
Our beers are technically 4.0% abv since cold beer is measured by alcohol by weight. But still non liquor store beer isn't worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post

Why do they say Alcohol By Volume if the are by weight? Wouldn't that be ABW instead???
"ABV" always means alcohol by volume, but the "low alcohol beer" allowed to be sold cold in Oklahoma (and a few other states) is 3.2% ABW, equivalent to 4.0% ABV.
For a while, 3.2% beers were allowed to be sold to 18+ in some states (while anything higher was relegated to 21+), leading some bars to ONLY carry such beers so they didn't have to check ID's much, and could serve the same supply to everyone.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #1858
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Yup. Ohio was like that when we were that age. We of course all voted for it! It was nice to stop on the way home from school for a couple cold ones with the guys.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #1859
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up. The phone app doesn't show the posters location so when he said "our", all I could figure was he was talking about home brewers.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #1860
Bryali
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
There are actually commercially available 2.4% beers? Wow. Is it for Jr. High kids? Or breakfast? What application does it have?
Well actually (hehe), Bud Select 55 (if it's even made still) is apparently 2.4% and MGD 64 is 2.8%. Pabst has an Extra Light that sits at about 2.5%. So, yes, they would be for High School kids wanting to drink beer but not knowing any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergen69 View Post
I love when I have my Belgian strong ale on tap...it's not much darker than bud or miller, however it's 9%...so when "what do you have like bud?" guy comes over that's what he gets. I will pour my oatmeal stout for me at 4.5% and let the fun begin! I call it two for one night.
I love it!!