Funny things you've overheard about beer - Page 158 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #1571
Leadgolem
 
Leadgolem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 1041 Times on 781 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyBrew View Post
Oh oh, just saw one. From a LHBS email newsletter:

For beers of gravity of over 1.060, you will need to pitch two packets of yeast, or your beer will not carbonate properly.
Your LHBS put this in their newsletter?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #1572
bovineblitz
 
bovineblitz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,446
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatride View Post
I live in Ireland, I like Murphy's and love Beamish but I really cannot stand Guiness. Not only this is more of a fashion thing over here but they also have pretty aggressive sales methods: My local is the main craft beer bar in town, they have to trade beers for CO2 since Guiness controlls the CO2 market and do not deliver to pubs who don't server Guiness...

Latest funny one: A colleague knows I brew, he asks me about my beer and another colleague mentions:
-I do not like ales, they are too flat

Since he comes from Germany I tell him that beer are ales or lagers and that most German beer would be ales. His answer:
-So Guiness is an ale?
ME: Yes
HIM: Wrong, this is a Stout!!
<3 that Howling Gale Ale.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #1573
loetz
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 119
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apatride View Post
Since he comes from Germany I tell him that beer are ales or lagers and that most German beer would be ales.
What?


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #1574
Apatride
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Cork, Ireland
Posts: 60
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Howling Ale is not bad at all, 2 others I really like here are the Ohara Irish Pale Ale and the Rowers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #1575
skw
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
, Germany
Posts: 409
Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh80 View Post
"Not too crazy about German Beer. I tried Beck's and didn't think it was anything special." Me, about 10 years ago. Glad I've learned a thing or two about beer since then.
It's the same thing in the opposite direction. When I tell friends in Germany that I like American beer, they think BMC, I think craft.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #1576
Halbrust
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Posts: 710
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by corkybstewart View Post
I heard the girl behind the bar explain that they could only sell 6 oz glasses (at $12 each) because the brewery had no way to control how alcoholic each batch was and the beer could be anywhere from 12 to 25% ABV.
That is a retarded statement!
Forget the fact that homebrewers can get batch after batch to be within 1%ABV of their target. The laws for commercial brewing mandate that ABV has to be consistent.
I don't know if the woman was stupid, or trying her own marketing gimmick, but it pisses me off a little either way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...it's fine if it's fermenting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #1577
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Portland, Oregon
Posts: 444
Liked 87 Times on 43 Posts


Buddy hanging out while I was brewing:

Buddy: "What's that stuff you're spraying on everything?"

Me: "Sanitizer, but it's cool. It's food grade. You could actually ingest it and be fine, and it doesn't affect the beer's flavor."

Buddy: Squirt, squirt in the mouth..."HACCCHHH, HACCCHHH! Why'd you let me do that???"

Another time...

Buddy: "Is it ok to eat one of these pellets?"

Me: "Yeah, but I wouldn't..."

Buddy: Chomp, chomp "Oh, citrusy and bitter!"

Me: "Good luck with that."

Buddy: "Ahh, that's intense."

Me: "Yep."

Buddy: Later, "Oh, that really stays with you."
Buddy: Next day, "Man, I tried brushing my teeth...didn't really help."

9
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1578
ktblunden
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ktblunden's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,974
Liked 333 Times on 205 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
That is a retarded statement!
Forget the fact that homebrewers can get batch after batch to be within 1%ABV of their target. The laws for commercial brewing mandate that ABV has to be consistent.
I don't know if the woman was stupid, or trying her own marketing gimmick, but it pisses me off a little either way.
120 Minute has had different ABV ranges depending on the year of release, but they certainly know what each batch finishes at. Commercial beers aren't required to be consistent, but packaging laws dictate that the packaging must reflect the actual contents. So different batches can be different ABV, but they each need to be labeled correctly.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #1579
morticus
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Posts: 292
Liked 98 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber
Buddy hanging out while I was brewing:

Buddy: "What's that stuff you're spraying on everything?"

Me: "Sanitizer, but it's cool. It's food grade. You could actually ingest it and be fine, and it doesn't affect the beer's flavor."

Buddy: Squirt, squirt in the mouth..."HACCCHHH, HACCCHHH! Why'd you let me do that???"

Another time...

Buddy: "Is it ok to eat one of these pellets?"

Me: "Yeah, but I wouldn't..."

Buddy: Chomp, chomp "Oh, citrusy and bitter!"

Me: "Good luck with that."

Buddy: "Ahh, that's intense."

Me: "Yep."

Buddy: Later, "Oh, that really stays with you."
Buddy: Next day, "Man, I tried brushing my teeth...didn't really help."
Is your buddy not playing with a full deck?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #1580
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Posts: 949
Liked 363 Times on 217 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by morticus View Post
Is your buddy not playing with a full deck?
Heck, those are the types of guys worth keeping around just for the comic value.

3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a funny beer saying!!! dcodd87 General Beer Discussion 90 01-16-2016 02:24 AM
Funny Beer Commercials KeyWestBrewing General Beer Discussion 0 06-16-2012 05:38 AM
Funny Beer Commercial doctorRobert General Beer Discussion 1 06-09-2011 06:51 PM
The funny things you find on Craigslist briguy General Beer Discussion 9 02-12-2011 11:44 PM
32 things you can do with beer ayrton General Beer Discussion 9 03-26-2007 08:38 PM


Forum Jump