Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1181
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1319 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It's not the same thing as the word "beer" in this usage. It's a generic term being used as a pronoun. Hence the need for a colon. Even my comm proffesors would argue this point.
agreed.

better: drop everything after "classic beers"

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1182
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3016 Times on 2602 Posts
Likes Given: 2135

Either drop all after the word beer,or insert a colon.

GrogNerd Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #1183
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post

Oh and she came back to tell me they were out of newcastle, so I still haven't had it, is this a good beer?

It's an English brown ale. Goes down easy and most certainly drinkable, albeit the style not being my favorite anymore.
Primary/Secondary
Port Royal Imperial Brown;Imperial Red Nugget

Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #1184
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd

or like telling me, "meet my wife and my sister" and there's only one woman with you
Bazinga

Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #1185
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd

or like telling me, "meet my wife and my sister" and there's only one woman with you
Here in Arkansas we wouldn't even bat an eye...

Of course most don't even know what a porter is either.

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #1186
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1319 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryush806 View Post
Here in Arkansas we wouldn't even bat an eye...

Of course most don't even know what a porter is either.
watching Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding and one of the couples was from West Virginia & had to get married in Virginia because they were first cousins

another funny about that show (out of many) is that the brides try and outdo each other on the size and sparkle of their wedding dresses. One bride's dress was delivered in THREE large boxes and she didn't put it on, she ENTERED IT

was nearly impossible for her to get through doorways out of her house and it would NOT FIT into the limo to take her to the church for her ceremony

and I'm thinking, "hmmm... wonder why there aren't more female ENGINEERS"

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #1187
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post

technically, it IS incorrect.

it's like writing a book called BEEF OF THE WORLD: over 350 classic beef, burgers, steaks and sirloins

No, technically it ISN'T. It is archaic, not incorrect.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #1188
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The following review, though not authoritative, may shed light on whether the author's understanding and title are likely "inaccurate" or benefit of the doubt lends to "archaic."

OK so this book does a descent job of introduction to beer for the novice. And when I say novice, I mean someone who has never drinken or been to a place that sells beer. So does anyone really need to know about Bud, Labbats, Molson, Coors, Old Milwaukee, Miller, or any other of the crap macros??? Really???

So on to the innacuracies:

P. 42. Hair of the Dog Fred is not a lager, it is a strong golden ale. None of HOTD beers are lagers.

P. 59. Post Road is a brewery owned by F.X. Matt and it is brewed in Utica, not Brooklyn.

P. 66 Stone Ruination is not an IPA, it is an Imperial (or Double) India Pale Ale. In addition, most IPAs are not in the range of 5-5.5% abv. Oficcially speaking, IPAs are anywhere between 5.5-7.5% abv.

I have found many others but I will stop here. No need to beat a dead horse.

Now, onto what it is missing.

BREWPUBS!!! There is not a single mention of beers at brewpubs. As such PP Solano beach, PP Carlsbad, PP San Clemente, Oggi's, Elysian, Russian River, Sly Fox, Vermont Pub and Brewery, The Cambridge house, Flossmoor Station, The Town Hall, and oh so many other great beers are not in the American section.

Ok so lets say that he only wanted to cover the breweries that were mainly bottlers. I can live with that. So where are Dogfish Head, Three Floyds, Alesmith, Avery and Jolly Pumpkin. Oh wait, their space must have been taken up by the pages of Michelob Ultra and Old Style.

Canada: One of the finest brewers in the world is in Motreal. While Dieu Du Ciel! is a brewpub, they do bottle and a discussion of current Canadian beer cannot be complete without them.

Britain: Pardon me but isn't the writter Brittish? Where are Samuel Smith's, J.W. Lee's, Thomas Hardy's, Courage RIS, and oh I don't know...Bass No. 1???

Austria and Switzerland: The most recognizable and noteworthy beer that either one of these countries ever made is Samichlaus. Not even a mention?

Belgium: Well I could write a lot about what is missing from this, I'll try to keep it short. He starts the chapter with a short discussion of Lambic beers. That's good. Then he states that sometimes the beers are mixed with fruit to make Gueuze. This is an incorrect statement and shows a serious lack of understanding by the author. Gueuze, in most cases, is a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old lambic unless it is Oude Gueuze and then it is just the 3 year old. Lambic mixed with fruit is named by the fruit it is mixed with; Framboise, Kriek, Cassis, and so on. He then shows only two examples in the chapter of lambic producers, Mort Subite and Lindeman's. Ever heard of Cantillon??? A discussion of lambic cannot be made without the mention of Cantillon. They are the most traditional and well respected of Lambic producers. Lindeman's Gueuze is the only Gueze shown. That is the least respected of the Gueuze style because it is pasteurized and has artificial sweetners. If he wanted to stick to Lindeman's, the Cuvee Rene would have been a much better choice as it is a more authentic beer. There is also no mention of the beer Orval's brett characteristics or of how the beer has changed since they have moved to closed secondary feremnters. I would also like to mention that none of the Westvleteren line were included, easily the most sought after beers of Belgium

Australia: Foster's gets it's own page and Cooper's doesn't even get a mention. Nuff said.
turkeydinner Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #1189
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7

No, technically it ISN'T. It is archaic, not incorrect.
Your one of those people that likes to argue just to argue aren't you? I suppose dropping this before the thread gets closed, isn't an option is it...
turkeydinner Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #1190
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post

Your one of those people that likes to argue just to argue aren't you? I suppose dropping this before the thread gets closed, isn't an option is it...
You were wrong. I corrected you. No shame in that.