Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
I know I've seen similar threads on here but I couldn't find any so I figured I'd start a new one.

I just went to Epic Brewing here in Salt Lake City to grab a sandwich in their tapless tap room (Utah thing). There were a couple of homebrewers that were asking questions of the guy behind the counter...stuff like how to increase the alcohol level in homebrew and such. Then one says to the other, "Dude, don't brew a Corona...brew something more exotic...like a Dos Equis or a Negro Modello."

I know everyone sounds like a ****** when they start off a sentence with "not to be a ******..." Screw it...so not to be a ******, but I just about laughed out loud when he referred to Dos Equis and Negro Modello as exotic. I didn't actually laugh out loud, so hopefully I'm only half a ****** at most.

Ok, so anyone else overheard funny comments like this?

While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room :) ).

While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room :) ).

Very true.

It's true, when I first started brewing I was way into Mexican lagers, like Pacifico...and Modello Negro. But I don't know that even back then I would have described them as "exotic".

BTW, despite the stereotypes and screwy liquor laws, Utah breweries are putting out some pretty awesome craft brew. The reason for the tapless tap room is we can buy any strength brew in a bottle, but only < 3.2%ABW/4%ABV on tap. All of Epic's brews are > 4%ABV, hence the tapless tap room. So in order to get Epic on tap, I'd have to go outside of Utah. And that's probably another candidate for funny things you've heard about beer.

BTW, despite the stereotypes and screwy liquor laws, Utah breweries are putting out some pretty awesome craft brew. The reason for the tapless tap room is we can buy any strength brew in a bottle, but only < 3.2%ABW/4%ABV on tap. All of Epic's brews are > 4%ABV, hence the tapless tap room. So in order to get Epic on tap, I'd have to go outside of Utah. And that's probably another candidate for funny things you've heard about beer.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying that for me. I knew it was something wonky. At least you can still buy the good stuff in a bottle.

My hillbilly uncle found out that I was brewing and gave me a call to give me some advice...

"You know...brewing is pretty easy, but when you start making the ice beers is when it gets tough, Its very important to boil the yeast after you add it and then put it in the fridge and turn it down as cold as possible. It's harder but your friends will all want the ice beer because it ***** you up."

I was surprised that a guy who used to make meth wasn't capable of wrapping his head around the brewing process.

I don't often feel like a stereotypical West Virginian, but after re-reading this post.....

Xpertskir said:
My hillbilly uncle found out that I was brewing and gave me a call to give me some advice...

"You know...brewing is pretty easy, but when you start making the ice beers is when it gets tough, Its very important to boil the yeast after you add it and then put it in the fridge and turn it down as cold as possible. It's harder but your friends will all want the ice beer because it ***** you up."

I was surprised that a guy who used to make meth wasn't capable of wrapping his head around the brewing process.

I don't often feel like a stereotypical West Virginian, but after re-reading this post.....

Sounds like, for his needs, his brewing process was excellent.

"Guinness is a meal."

Maybe for a 5 year old?

I laugh out loud every time I hear this. There's a place in KC where you can get anything on tap in a GIANT wax paper cup. I always get a Guinness. Nearly everybody looks at me funny.

Oh, and there is a new nanobrewery in St. Louis called Exit 6. The owner's motto is "No Crap on Tap". While wearing his Exit 6 shirt out of the brewery in public, some young woman walked up to him and commented, "Exit 6? That place sucks! They don't even serve Bud Light!!" :drunk:

Oh, and there is a new nanobrewery in St. Louis called Exit 6. The owner's motto is "No Crap on Tap". While wearing his Exit 6 shirt out of the brewery in public, some young woman walked up to him and commented, "Exit 6? That place sucks! They don't even serve Bud Light!!" :drunk:
I would have loved to have seen his face when she said that :eek:

I was at a bar yesterday and the lady asked the waitress if she had Crispin. She said no, but what is it like so I can make a suggestion. The lady said it is like blue moonand her friend said no it is more like white wine. After the waitress suggested a hoegarrden (sp? ) she said no. I was right next to them and I mentioned that Crispin is a hard cider. The waitress listed their ciders and she ordered a Bud light.

I was in a restaurant in auburn Alabama and the menu listed domestic and imported beers. Sam Adams was listed under the imports!

There are plenty of bars in KC that put their "Domestics" on special, but Boulevard isn't part of the 'special'. How much more domestic can you get than 4 blocks down the street??

I got the waitress to agree with me that it should be called "Cheap Domestics Special". :D

Meh. I used to say I prefered 'dark beers' and that meant Dos Equis and Killians. I still like those beers, but don't say things like that any more.

bradpoff said:
I was in a restaurant in auburn Alabama and the menu listed domestic and imported beers. Sam Adams was listed under the imports!

I was at a hotel bar in Boston, MA about 5 miles from the brewery and Sam Adams was listed under imports. Most places domestic = BMC

I brought some homebrew to a family reunion. One of my wife's aunts tried a kristallweizen and said, "Oh, that's good. That tastes just like Michelob." I was like, "Oh..." and dropped my head in shame. She noticed I didn't take the compliment as she had intended and said "no, but I really like Michelob." at which point I felt like a jerk for not just taking the compliment with some manners and I told her that I was really happy she liked it.

bradpoff said:

Auburn seemed like a foreign country to me!

(don't mean t offend but for a gullible white boy from Wisconsin the south IS a bit shocking at times!)

AmandaK said:
I laugh out loud every time I hear this. There's a place in KC where you can get anything on tap in a GIANT wax paper cup. I always get a Guinness. Nearly everybody looks at me funny.

LMAO haha to funny.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, because it's highly likely that I said something like that during my younger days. What I dislike, though, is if someone who says something like that is a jerk.

I do get bothered sometimes by the, "I prefer lagers." Or, "I don't like dark/hoppy beers." Then again, these are just people who have very novice-level beer terminology. If we didn't talk to them, the likelihood of them attempting to describe their likes would be greatly reduced.

Just about everyone who's not a big craft-beer drinker sees nearly ANY of my beers, which aren't crystal clear in clarity, and says (often even after tasting), "reminds me of a boulevard [wheat] or a blue moon." I had a beer that was supposed to be a Kolsch but I accidentally pitched chico...almost no hop character, just 2-row and a pinch of crystal, clean, I thought it was like just a touch above a BMC...our friends came over and were raving about it (also saying it reminded them of Boulevard).

I've served my Nugget Empire IIPA to two different people who "don't like hoppy beers"..."but I like that!"

I love seeing people act like they're "cultured" because they drink Blue Moon, too. Kudos for not drinking BMC, if you place worth on what beer you drink, but that is not a fine, hand-crafted beer you're drinking...and it's not foreign in any way.

The Guiness thing is funny, too. I used to not even be able to finish a Guiness when I first turned 21. After some practice, I could drink several in a sitting (usually because the female friends I was with couldn't finish theirs and wanted to go to another bar on the "crawl".) It's night-and-day from a BMC, but please go try some more stouts before you act like it's mud...

And, full disclosure, I drank Killians as my first venture out of the BMC world, at the ripe age of 21. At least that began my experimenting with different beers than Busch Light, which I grew-up on.

I think somewhere in my mid-to-late twenties I started buying random stuff that looked good at the liquor store, the $8 sixers. That taught me a lot about what I liked and didn't.

I was at a local brewery last having a pint of Tart Lychee by New Belgium, very tasty :rockin:. A guy sitting next to me at the bar began talking with me about some of the beers they had on tap, specifically the one I had in my hand. After trying a sample he turned to his friends and told them to give it a try too, all of them were enjoying a nice frosty pint of Bud Light. Needless to say none of them enjoyed it, it was WAY too hoppy (20 IBUs) and tasted like "your buddies messed with you beer while you were in the bathroom". They told me it was too 'girly' for them, poked some fun at me, and promptly ordered another round of Bud Light. I bite my tongue and had a good laugh between myself and the bartender.

Some girls were asking about Duck Rabbit's Milk Stout and the bartender says, "I think it's because they put milk in it."

There is a new type of bud light out, I can't remember what it is called but it is pretty high in alcohol and supposed to be low calorie. These guys at the bar were bragging about it saying how strong it was and that it tasted like water. I told them that I thought bud light was supposed to taste like water, but they claimed that beer that strong doesn't usually taste as good as bud light.

There is a new type of bud light out, I can't remember what it is called but it is pretty high in alcohol and supposed to be low calorie. These guys at the bar were bragging about it saying how strong it was and that it tasted like water. I told them that I thought bud light was supposed to taste like water, but they claimed that beer that strong doesn't usually taste as good as bud light.

Bud Light Platinum. It's like 6% or something. People who like to get trashed think it's liquid gold.

I overheard the manager of a liquor store - a rather large location, with a great selection and a number of locations in the area - telling a customer that cider is beer that they add apple juice to. And this was during a tasting of a new cider they started carrying.
Facepalm.

Bud Light Platinum. It's like 6% or something. People who like to get trashed think it's liquid gold.

The best thing I have seen beer wise in a while was:

I was in Utah at a gas station, they had bud light and bud light platinum bottled next to each other and the bud light platinum was 2 dollars more a six pack.

Obviously in Utah they both have the same ABW.

I love seeing people act like they're "cultured" because they drink Blue Moon, too. Kudos for not drinking BMC,

But Blue Moon is part of the MC empire :drunk: Maybe not the light lager, but it's still a BMC.

Oh crap, don't derail the thread...must come up with something relevant...um, here is something:

A few years ago I was sitting around drinking SNPA at a friend's house. Another guy stops by with a case of MGD and offers one to my friend. My friend says, "No way man, I don't drink that crap." Fast forward a couple years and now my friend only drinks Bud.

Latest posts

Back