Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cloudy Beer

Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Eamster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Cloudy Beer

Am not opposed to to a beer that is cloudy but some people are. I was just curious how to make it more clear in the future. Would a secondary be the way to go or should I use something like Irish moss or whirlfloc?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
stratslinger
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Sort of depends on the style. Some beers (wheat beers, dry hopped beers, for instance) are going to be cloudy, period. It's part of the style.

For other beers, yes, whirfloc or Irish moss can help. Quicker chilling from the kettle to the fermenter, to promote a better cold break, can help. Also, giving the beer more time in primary, or sometimes a secondary, can also prove beneficial - basically, it's the extra time that will help yeast and other sediments drop out of your beer before you package it.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can also do a cold crash. When it's done fermenting, bring the beer down to just above freezing and hold it there for about a week. That will help more of the protein and yeast to fall out. You can also stir in some gelatin (or other product) to make things even clearer

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Chilling the wort in 20 minutes or less will prevent or greatly lessen chill haze at fridge time. Leaving it in primary to reach FG & settle out clear or slightly misty helps too. Cleaner & clearer beer. After 3-5 days in bottles,it should be crystal clear. Unless it's a wheat or something really hoppy. The hop oils make it a bit misty.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The above are right. Time is your friend, too. Leaving each fermentation step (and cold crash) for as long as you can will help most. If you keg, pour off the first half glass after it's carbed. Even still, the more time it sits in the keg the clearer it gets. My IIPA is almost kicked and as of last night I could finally see through it clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
hogwash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Agree with all of the above but also, if you bottle, leave the bottles in the fridge for a week or so before pouring. This will greatly lessen your chill haze.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Yup,chill haze,if any usually takes 3-5 days to settle out. Kinda looks like a fog bank settling down. But chilling the hot wort in 20 minutes or less gets rid of chill haze at fridge time.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post

For other beers, yes, whirfloc or Irish moss can help. Quicker chilling from the kettle to the fermenter, to promote a better cold break, can help. Also, giving the beer more time in primary, or sometimes a secondary, can also prove beneficial - basically, it's the extra time that will help yeast and other sediments drop out of your beer before you package it.
I have to agree with this, a whirl floc tab in or after the boil, along with a quick chill after the boil or post boil steep, will help a ton. As will letting your beer fall or begin to fall clear before packaging. Racking to a secondary vessel (bright tank) can help this happen faster, but IME, no better. If you package a clear beer, you should have a clear beer after the chill haze (if it happens) subsides.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
cookstownbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I had a problem with cloudy beer very early on. I was cooling my wort down to room temperature in less than 6 minutes, I tried to leave the hot break in the boil pot. It eventually came down to not boiling vigoriously enough. I was so paranoid about boiling over in my basement that I wasn't cranking the heat enough. As soon as I moved out into my garage and started boiling at much higher temps I noticed an immediate improvement in my beer clarity.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookstownbrewer View Post
I had a problem with cloudy beer very early on. I was cooling my wort down to room temperature in less than 6 minutes, I tried to leave the hot break in the boil pot. It eventually came down to not boiling vigoriously enough. I was so paranoid about boiling over in my basement that I wasn't cranking the heat enough. As soon as I moved out into my garage and started boiling at much higher temps I noticed an immediate improvement in my beer clarity.
For sure, getting a good hot break probably helps as much as getting a good cold break after the boil.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.