Time to try my first beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamtheq

Reaction score
My first beer, and Irish Red, has been in bottles for 2 weeks and I am impatient to try one. I keep reading online that you run the risk of foaming over if you open a warm beer. Some people said to put it in the fridge for a couple days. How long in the fridge is long enough? I put one in the fridge last night hoping to drink it tonight. Thanks in advance!

I think 24 hours is sufficient. Regardless, you should try your beer! Drink, drink, drink!

First beer? I tried my first beers after 2 days in the bottle. Then again at one week and so on. I think trying it at all stages teaches me something about the beer.

It'll need more than 2 weeks room temp conditioning & 24 hours fridge time to be at it's best. 3-4 weeks is stated for a good reason. I found out by experimantation & a happy accident or two that 2 weeks fridge time is best for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation for a reason. It takes longer than 24 hours or less to get the co2 in the head space in to solution. It's not a quick process.
I didn't try a one of my 1st batch until 3 weeks. Then I'd wished I'd waited 4. Kinda funny how it's ok to most to give in to impatience in the name of science. Patience is a brewers greatest tool. You can't rush it,no matter how much you want to.

For your first brew,go ahead and drink one at 2 weeks. A day in the fridge will. be ok. Soon you will learn that for most brews 3-4 weeks is better and a few days in the fridge will give a better longer lasting head.

Congrats and enjoy your first. Now brew more. Welcome to the addiction.

I Finally tried it. It was horrible. My wife and I thought it was overcarbonated so I poured it back and forth between a couple glasses and BAM! Decent beer! Whoo hoo!

How did you prime?

I usually do 25min in the freezer for my first test at 2 to 3 weeks.

Not sure if there is science behind this, or if its just me, but I swear all my homebrews taste better after they have been chilling out in a glass for 10 minutes or so before I drink anything.

iamtheq said:
I Finally tried it. It was horrible. My wife and I thought it was overcarbonated so I poured it back and forth between a couple glasses and BAM! Decent beer! Whoo hoo!

Give it more time in the fridge and get the CO2 fully absorbed, let them sit in there for a week:)

Back