Bottling still hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric15762

Reaction score
Hello this is my first time ever brewing anything. Im hoping I have it all figured out I'm just still a bit confused about bottling my still hard cider.
I have read many different ways, wine bottles, heating it to proper temp and pouring it in mason jars so it seals it self shut, and bottles with caps. What would be the best way to bottle the still hard cider.

I'm kind of leaning toward the mason jars because I got lots of empty ones laying around.

Also wht is the proper storage for it once it's bottled and the shelf life?

Thanks!

the easiest is to bottle in screw-top plastic soda/fizzy water bottles, but that's not very nice. if you can get some grolsch style flip top beer bottles, they work great and are infinitely reusable. for everything else you need a bit of equipment. wine bottles are excellent and classy but you need a corker. regular beer bottles are a good compromise, you just need a capper and a bag of caps (less than $20 total), and to collect bottles from some friends. everything non-carbonated that i make goes into regular beer bottles since i don't have a corker. you can get champagne bottles and plastic corks, which you hammer in with a mallet, but i would feel pretty silly opening one without the pop of high carbonation. personally i would steer clear of the mason jars. do you really want to go heating up your cider? and if you don't create that suction they don't seal. but maybe others have had success with this. i know there have been many completely ridiculous threads on hbt about 'bottling' in them and with any luck this won't turn into another. storage- ideally keep it in a cool place. if it's not oxidized or full of acetobacter then you should be able to keep it for years and it will improve. if you are cellaring it for any prolonged time, do try some every now and then. often you will notice it improving over 6 months and after a year or so sometimes they start to go downhill, but you can't tell until you try it, every batch / technique / cidermaker is different. certainly if it tastes sharp and unbalanced at first, and you were pretty careful being sanitary with it and not oxidizing the crap out of it, it stands a great chance of improving over 6-12 months.

Back