Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lager head

Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
frostyp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lager head

Following instructions to the letter on lager kits, very careful sanitation of all equipment have tried all sugar and fifty fifty mix of sugar and dried malt extract, always getting a poor if any head on my lager, accurately measure sugar.for each bottle definitely getting good carbonation but rubbish head, any ideas please?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Few questions to help diagnose:
1: how long are you letting them carbonate?
2: what are your cleaning procedures for glasses and bottles?
3: have you had successful carbonation with other beers?
4: did you lager before bottling and if so did you add more yeast at bottling?
5: would help to have more info on the kit. All grain, extract, recipe, additives used, etc.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6994 Times on 4959 Posts
Likes Given: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyp View Post
Following instructions to the letter on lager kits, very careful sanitation of all equipment have tried all sugar and fifty fifty mix of sugar and dried malt extract, always getting a poor if any head on my lager, accurately measure sugar.for each bottle definitely getting good carbonation but rubbish head, any ideas please?
I have a suspicion that you aren't making a lager, but instead a lager kit that is actually an ale? Normally, ingredients like simple sugar make a thin bodied beer, and you won't get decent head retention with a "kit & kilo" type kit with prehopped liquid extract and sugar.

Normally, good head comes with proteins in the ingredients. Steeping some grains in the wort like crystal malt, flaked wheat, and so on will provide color, flavor, and the proteins needed for head retention.

I'd say to try a different type of ingredient base if you wanted to make a more complete beer. Dry malt extract, some grains, hops, and yeast (no sugar!) are the usual ingredients.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Musky01
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I understand you right you are using the all sugar and the mix for priming, correct?

To even take a stab at figuring anything out we would need to see the recipe and a brief rundown on fermentation times and temps.