Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Should I rack to secondary?

Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Wrey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I rack to secondary?

So I am the process of brewing my first batch (Scotch Ale) and it has been 8 days in the primary. Need to check the SG again but I am planning on bottling tonight.

I just bought a standard kit (plastic bucket primary {that didn't seem to have a good seal since we never saw any activity in the airlock [ok, thats probably too many parentheses]}).

For our next batch do you guys suggest just buying a new primary (glass carboy) and then using the primary we have now for a secondary?

How many people use a secondary and are there that many advantages to make it worth it?

If you do use a secondary how long do you spend in the primary and how long in the secondary?

Old 07-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is actually a recent poll on the subject. I imagine any questions you may have were already covered in there.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 129 Posts

leave it in the primary until it is finished (FG has been reached) and then transfer to a secondary if you feel so inclined. secondary should be glass, not plastic.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
heertsy
Recipes 

Yes, they say secondary needs to be MORE airtight then the primary, so do not use your plastic pail for the secondary.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Well, as the trouble maker who posted the linked poll, I will chime in.

Do what you feel is right. Use the force, feel it, let it steer you...

oh wait, sorry. Uh, secondary? yeah, let's see.

Up to you, however 8 days primary and then straight to bottles? No way. Give it more time before you bottle it. I just tried one of my scottish 80/- ales the other day. Delicious!

I had it in the primary a little over 3 weeks. Then I bottled it. It has only been 2 weeks in the bottle but i usually sample one at 2 weeks to check carbonation and then move it to a cooler storage place if it is carbed.

Wait you said plastic primary? So, IMO, best option is this. In this case, get a 5 gallon glass carboy and transfer to that. Leave it 2 weeks at least. I suppose it may be okay on the plastic bucket. I have never brewed in one so I cannot give a qualified answer on that.

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Wrey
Recipes 

As I said this is our first batch and we were just following the instructions. I'm at work but I believe they say to bottle after 7-10 days in the primary.

What do you guys suggest for this beer. We want to brew another batch this weekend and need to free up the primary. If I waited to bottle till this Sunday that would put it at 14 days in the primary.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would never do a secondary ever again unless dry hopping. There is no need for it listen to the brewing network and you will see what I mean.
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 07-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If after 14 days in primary it has hit its FG and stabilized you could go ahead and bottle. I do secondary clearing so that I can a) free up a primary and b) help with the clarity of my beers (I don't keg).

If you don't want to use a secondary you can leave it for an extra couple of weeks in your primary, this gives it the same amount of time to clear as transferring to a clearing vessel.

Since you say you want to brew again I would either bottle first and then brew, or transfer to secondary and brew - then you can bottle at your leisure.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Wrey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy
I would never do a secondary ever again unless dry hopping. There is no need for it listen to the brewing network and you will see what I mean.
After reading the thread accosicated with the poll I think I am going to skip the secondary.

I don't think I can wait 3 weeks to bottle. We are all anxious to brew our next batch.

Primary- Witch's Brew Hefe
Primary-le cry, tis empty
Conditioning
Drinking Scotch Ale, Continental Pilsner, Edworts Apfelwein

Total Brews-4

Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 129 Posts

you should always wait a total of 3 weeks (in the primary+secondary or just primary) before you bottle...you'll thank yourself for it...the beer is still conditioning. the only exception may be a hefe.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...