Krausen hasn't fallen. New to cider help me out. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Krausen hasn't fallen. New to cider help me out.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
BlainD
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Killeen, tx
Posts: 254
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts



So I cracked my bucket to look at some cider that had been fermenting for a little over 3 weeks. There was still krausen rafts floating which didn't seem strange till I took the gravity which was at 1.008. Should the krausen have fallen by now? Is that maybe not krausen but pulp and my noobness is showing? Recipe below.

Wlp060

3.5 gallons treetop 3 apple blend
.5 gallons cherry juice

Fermented @ 65 for 3 weeks didn't raise temperature was out of town.

Thanks in advance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-418974914.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	71118  
__________________
"Stop drinkin all that water" ~odb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,229
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts


Do you have a carboy to rack it over to? The krausen not yet falling isn't a big deal, but now that fermentation has slowed, I'd want to put it in a carboy and airlock it and give it time to finish.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
BlainD
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Killeen, tx
Posts: 254
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts


My other bucket is full right now. Do I have to rack it to a secondary or can I just raise the tempeture to finish it? Further more if it's near my target gravity why not just rack it to my bottling bucket and bottle? Would I create little bottle bombs?
__________________
"Stop drinkin all that water" ~odb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,229
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlainD View Post
My other bucket is full right now. Do I have to rack it to a secondary or can I just raise the tempeture to finish it? Further more if it's near my target gravity why not just rack it to my bottling bucket and bottle? Would I create little bottle bombs?
Well, you don't want another bucket, as the headspace is way way too wide, so if you don't have a carboy you'll have to bottle it when it's done.

I'd prefer to wait until it clears a bit (far less crap in the bottles) but you can bottle it when it's finished if you feel you have to and don't mind the sludge in the bottom of the bottle.

My preference would be to put it in an appropriately sized carboy for a month or two, at least, before bottling.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
BlainD
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Killeen, tx
Posts: 254
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'd prefer to wait until it clears a bit (far less crap in the bottles) but you can bottle it when it's finished if you feel you have to and don't mind the sludge in the bottom of the bottle.
Whats going to be the best way for me to clear it up: Cold Crashing or Raising the tempeture then cold crashing?
__________________
"Stop drinkin all that water" ~odb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,229
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlainD View Post
Whats going to be the best way for me to clear it up: Cold Crashing or Raising the tempeture then cold crashing?
Time is the best clarifier. It needs time for the yeast and suspended particles like pectins to fall out, once it's finished fermenting.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
BlainD
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Killeen, tx
Posts: 254
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Time is the best clarifier. It needs time for the yeast and suspended particles like pectins to fall out, once it's finished fermenting.
ok... But cold time of room temp time? LoL I should have asked that to begin with. I have a mini fridge that I use as a fermentation chamber and I'd like to free it up for more of the good stuff.
__________________
"Stop drinkin all that water" ~odb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,229
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts


Keep it on the warm side until it's completely done and clearing. Then you can cold crash it if you want. It'll age faster at room temperatures than cold.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump