Do you take the temp of your starter? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you take the temp of your starter?
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Gameface
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,705
Liked 442 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 463


I never check the temp on my starters. If it feels room temp I pitch the yeast.

Anything I should worry about if I pitch my starter at something like 80F? I figure the yeast are happy even at slightly higher temps and I dump the starter wort so I don't care too much about off flavors if there are any.

I make 2.5L-4L starters and use a stir plate.

Another question. I also don't aerate my wort with my pure O2 system. I don't really even shake it up. I figure that on the stir plate with the loose tin foil it'll get plenty of O2, but am I missing out by not hitting it with a big dose of O2 up front? I just haven't wanted to go through the hassle of sanitizing the O2 stone and all that for a starter.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
GNBRennes
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Green Bay, Wi
Posts: 40
Likes Given: 1


I never checked my starters temp. As long as it seems cool enough it should be ok, but if its too warm it could cause foam overs from the yeast fermenting like crazy or kill them completely. I chill my starters in the kettle I boiled with. Once the kettle feels cool or room temp to the touch is when I transfer to my flask and add yeast.

If your using a stir plate you would not need to use your o2 system. Even without the stir plate you wouldn't need it, just shake a few times.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 9,537
Liked 1295 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 286


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
I never check the temp on my starters. If it feels room temp I pitch the yeast.

Anything I should worry about if I pitch my starter at something like 80F? I figure the yeast are happy even at slightly higher temps and I dump the starter wort so I don't care too much about off flavors if there are any.

I make 2.5L-4L starters and use a stir plate.

Another question. I also don't aerate my wort with my pure O2 system. I don't really even shake it up. I figure that on the stir plate with the lose tin foil it'll get plenty of O2, but am I missing out by not hitting it with a big dose of O2 up front? I just haven't wanted to go through the hassle of sanitizing the O2 stone and all that for a starter.
I do check the temps but, only to be sure it is close to the temperature of the yeast.

2.5L -4L? you must be brewing some big beers!

I never aerate, I don't have the equipment. The starters work out well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Gameface
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,705
Liked 442 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 463


Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I do check the temps but, only to be sure it is close to the temperature of the yeast.

2.5L -4L? you must be brewing some big beers!

I never aerate, I don't have the equipment. The starters work out well.
I make 10g batches. I use beersmith to tell me how big a starter to make.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orem, UT
Posts: 962
Liked 82 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 5


No. I assume that after spending a day on the stir plate, it has a temperature similar to it's surroundings.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Gameface
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,705
Liked 442 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 463


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
No. I assume that after spending a day on the stir plate, it has a temperature similar to it's surroundings.
I'm talking about before pitching the yeast. Just wondered if I would do any damage if I pitched warm into the starter that would show up in the final beer. Didn't figure there would be, but thought it would be good to ask.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orem, UT
Posts: 962
Liked 82 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 5


Well, it's best if the starter and the wort have similar temperatures - every yeast data sheet i have seen has said within 10 degrees - but i can guess what the temperature of the starter is. 'cause it's gonna be the same as ambient.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,590
Liked 558 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 730


I take my starters out of the fridge, decant, and pitch immediately. That keeps the yeast from consuming it's glycogen reserves as it warms up and gets me faster starters and healthier yeast.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - watch for "Homebrew All Stars" coming in May 2016

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Phunhog
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,027
Liked 171 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 89


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I take my starters out of the fridge, decant, and pitch immediately. That keeps the yeast from consuming it's glycogen reserves as it warms up and gets me faster starters and healthier yeast.
Hmmmm. interesting... I do the same but I let the decanted starter warm up for a an hour or two before pitching. I thought I read that ideally you want your yeast to be within 10 degrees F. of your wort. The theory is that you don't want to "shock" the yeast with a wide temperature swing. It would be nice to just decant and pitch!
__________________
Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,590
Liked 558 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 730


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Hmmmm. interesting... I do the same but I let the decanted starter warm up for a an hour or two before pitching. I thought I read that ideally you want your yeast to be within 10 degrees F. of your wort. The theory is that you don't want to "shock" the yeast with a wide temperature swing. It would be nice to just decant and pitch!
Yeast shock is a pretty old, disproven theory. As long as the yeast isn't warmer than the wort, it doesn't happen. Yeast colder than the wort works great.


__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - watch for "Homebrew All Stars" coming in May 2016

 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pilsner starter, Cold or room temp! 1stTimer General Beer Discussion 18 06-19-2012 08:11 PM
Starter Temp SoFlaBrewer General Beer Discussion 5 07-19-2010 08:53 PM
Pitching temp vs fermentation temp PavlovsCat General Beer Discussion 15 08-14-2009 02:09 AM
Max temp. for yeast mthompson General Beer Discussion 6 02-27-2009 04:10 PM
Starter Question / Will 1/2 gal of starter do two batches? JKHomebrew General Beer Discussion 4 01-28-2009 01:39 PM


Forum Jump