Second fermentation - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Second fermentation

Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
scorpien222
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have made a gallon of rhubarb wine that had appeared to have finished fermenting I poured a small sample from the Demi John on Sunday and I have just looked at my demo John and it appears to have started fermenting again a couple of questions is this a bad thing ? Why did it appear to have stopped ? And was it me taking a sample and disturbing the yeast at the bottom that has reignited the fermentation ? And help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
brazedowl
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts

it might just be dissolved gasses (mostly carbon dioxide) bubbling out since you disturbed it. To be sure if fermentation has started up again check the SG over a couple of days to see.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Fayetteville, NC
Liked 105 Times on 98 Posts

Without an SG reading, you don't know if it has re-started or is just releasing gas.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
scorpien222
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm ok thanks guys I don't have a hydrometer I have not long started brewing at home and haven't bought one yet so I will just have to wait and see I think I am going to buy one soon though it does look like its producing quite a bit of C02 there are quite a few bubbles and it looks like there is a little foam on the top on the plus side it tasted delicious when I tried it :-)

Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Honda88
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Pella, IA
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

if you are going to do any kind of homebrewing a hydrometer is essential.