Top-off Water/Batch Size Question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Top-off Water/Batch Size Question

Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
cm_laflamme
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Westerly, RI

So in typical male fashion I thought my equipment was bigger than it actually is. I picked up the ingredients for a 10gal batch, and only have a 30qt pot. Problem is theres a bunch of specialty grains and they're mixed together and already milled. With boiloff I'm looking at somewhere around 4 gallons if top-off water, which means I have 3 options:
1) Just make what I can and top off
2) Shake the heck out of the grains, hope they all mix up relatively evenly and make two 5 gallon batches
3) Do two separate boils, one for the specialty grains and one for the DME, and either split the hops evenly or just boil the hops with the DME as that's the larger volume.

I really don't know what the best option is and looking for some advice from some more experienced brewers on the best way to proceed and fix my mistake.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Parris Island, USA
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

I would boil as much as you can then top off with water. Thats the only practical thing to do in which you can control as many variables. I have boiled 6 gallons of wort and split that batch into two 4 gallon batches after topping off with water.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_laflamme View Post
So in typical male fashion I thought my equipment was bigger than it actually is.
Post of the day!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
kenstogie
Recipes 

Oct 2008

Quote:
So in typical male fashion I thought my equipment was bigger than it actually is.
Speak for yourself, buddy. LOL

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
scottab

Recipes 

Nov 2011
hawthorne, nj
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I would boil all you can and top off, just like a typical extract recipe you boil half the volume and top off the concentrated wort. so starting with a 7.5g boil should net you about 5g finished boil top with 5 gal clean water aerate and pitch just like you would with extract kits. Mind you i don't have the equipment to do full boils to begin with so don't know if the extract recipes scale up.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Dirty25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Mackenbach, Germany
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Are you doing extract? If you are doing extract you can just steep all the grains add you malt boil then split the batches and top off with how much water you need. Most beer kits only say to boil two gallons of water then top off.

If your talking all grain you can separate your wort out of the mash tun and do two boils

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
cm_laflamme
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Westerly, RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty25
Are you doing extract? If you are doing extract you can just steep all the grains add you malt boil then split the batches and top off with how much water you need. Most beer kits only say to boil two gallons of water then top off.

If your talking all grain you can separate your wort out of the mash tun and do two boils
It's extract with specialty grains. My concern was whether having 2 gallons (give or take) of top off water per fermenter was going to be an issue.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
cm_laflamme
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Westerly, RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie

Speak for yourself, buddy. LOL
So you're saying every time you have to measure something by eyeball it doesn't wind up about an inch and a half short? Maybe it's just me then.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
KISS Brew

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Athens, Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
It's extract with specialty grains. My concern was whether having 2 gallons (give or take) of top off water per fermenter was going to be an issue.
I've done this and had no problem. You might want to boil the water first to make sure it doesn't have any nasty bugs in it.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe