Jun 2011
Ormskirk, Lancs

What do you guys reckon?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120806_130047.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	70893

I have a few batches of IPA's fermenting. They are all clearly infected to varying extents, but have you guys got experience with this type?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120806_130107.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	70894

It seems to be just top surface layer, so I'm probably going to rack the bulk off and keg or bottle.

Smells great still and this just appeared in the past few days having been in the secondary for couple weeks.

Guessing my sanitation was slack in the secondary stage.

Any advice for this time or future us appreciated (I have been brewing AG and country wines for a few years, don't remember getting this before).
Bottled (drinking): Smokey Porter, Brunette Ale, Elderflower Champagne; Ruby Ale; D&B Root Beer; Rhubarb Dessert Wine

Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Kokomo, Indiana
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

None are infected. Looks like hop matter and co2 bubbles.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
helgibelgi
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Reykjavik, Iceland
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

RDWHAHB

If it is infected with something it's probably not going to kill you, so I say give it a chance. Don't dump it.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Aug 2008
, New York
Liked 131 Times on 81 Posts

Uh, yeah, they are most certainly infected. Could be lacto or something like wild yeasts.

I wouldn't dump them yet, though start drinking them sooner than later.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Rarig
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Los Olivos, California
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ever think about making a still? Haha kidding. Has anyone ever distilled their actual craft homebrew? I always wondered what would come out of doing that if you happened to use your 'spoiled' beer.

Cheers,
Rarig

Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
theredben
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Langley, BC
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

bugslife - have you actually tried the beer? I don't see anything that would scream "infection", but does it taste bad? Remember that nothing harmful can grow in beer, so it is always safe to try, no matter what you think is growing in there.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
bdoubled
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Hahira, GA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dont dump it. Let ur tastbuds judge it. I just bottled a high gravity holiday ale that had a layer of what Looked liked skummy yeast with bubles even on top. I sampled after racking off into bottling bucket and its the best damn beer I have made so far. Never dump it without tasting it first. You will know if its infected. Doesnt look it to me.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
TzeentchPlayer
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Austin, Texas
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

See if your infection is comparable to any of them in the post on my sig.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
buggslife
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Ormskirk, Lancs

Thanks for your input everyone. I've started looking through that thread and it helps to see such variety.

I'll taste mine tonight and, if it is ok, I'll bottle and keg it. If it tastes like it smells then should be ok.
Bottled (drinking): Smokey Porter, Brunette Ale, Elderflower Champagne; Ruby Ale; D&B Root Beer; Rhubarb Dessert Wine

Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 352 Times on 306 Posts

That beer is DEFINITELY infected, but it looks like you caught it early. You CAN keg it if it tastes good, and drink it quickly, but DO NOT BOTTLE IT. If there's something in there that can continue to chew on sugars S. Cerevisiae can't, you can end up with bottle bombs.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com