Secondary fermentation phase - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary fermentation phase

Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
loz114
Recipes 

Mar 2012

As a new starter to the hobby, I was wondering, when I transfer my beer from the fermentation tank to the secondary phase, will be beer be ok if the secondary fermentation is air tight, as I only have my pressure barrel to transfer it to. And how long do u recommend leaving it, in it's secondary fermentation? Cheers

Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3670 Times on 3154 Posts

Unless you're oaking,adding fruit,or the like there's no need to secondary. Many of us don't. Just leave it in primary till you hit FG,then let it settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
loz114
Recipes 

Mar 2012

But if I was adding fruit to the beer, would an air tight secondary be ok or will it also need an airlock like a fermentation tank?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
brewingbryan
Recipes 

Nov 2011

I like to transfer, mostly to clarify but I also often add something to the process. I always throw on a normal airlock just like primary.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
wsamford
Recipes 

Aug 2012

I had the same question. The dude at the LHBS said the same thing about the secondary giving more clarity. Also, I bought a two bucket setup, one with a nozzle, so if I use that one as the primary, go to the normal bucket as a secondary, then back to the nozzle bucket to bottle, he said I should be able to avoid sediment and have a easier time bottling. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
FATC1TY
Recipes 

May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamford View Post
I had the same question. The dude at the LHBS said the same thing about the secondary giving more clarity. Also, I bought a two bucket setup, one with a nozzle, so if I use that one as the primary, go to the normal bucket as a secondary, then back to the nozzle bucket to bottle, he said I should be able to avoid sediment and have a easier time bottling. I'll let you know how it goes!
Don't do that.

Don't use the one with the spigot on it as a primary. Some have, and will say they have no issues, but you could get a leak, and you will introduce extra places like the orings and the threads to get junk/gunk and could raise the risk of an infection if it's left there to ferment.

Ferment in your bucket without the spigot, and allow it to set. Rack off the bucket carefully, you'll leave some beer behind, and put it in the bottling bucket when you are ready to bottle.

I put my beers in secondary when I dry hop them, or let them sit on wood/coffee/cocoa/etc. They can stay in primary for 2 weeks, and then another 2 for secondary if you wish. Cold crash it in the primary and it'll clear even more than just putting it in the secondary.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
wsamford
Recipes 

Aug 2012

I thought about that... I'll give it a try your way next time! Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz114
But if I was adding fruit to the beer, would an air tight secondary be ok or will it also need an airlock like a fermentation tank?
To the OP, if you by chance get some additional fermentation from the fruit because of the additional sugars you will require an airlock so the fermentation gasses have a means of escaping, so yes, cheers!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010